+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Experience Class - Education Route

GO83

Oct 19, 2009
Hey Question about applying for the CEC .... (Applying via the Education in Canada one not the 24 Months of Skilled Work)

It states on the document checklist that I need to get letters of reference from the past three years of employment. I only graduated in 2007 spring so I've had two full time jobs (2008 and 2009) in the past two years and before that I had probably 3-4 part time student jobs. Do I need to get all three part time positions to write me reference letters from three years back? Or do they just want to know about full time work. Seem kinda silly to get my 4 hour a week library monitor job to write me a reference for immigration purposes.

Thanks for any ideas/comments.

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
GO83 said:
Hey Question about applying for the CEC .... (Applying via the Education in Canada one not the 24 Months of Skilled Work)

It states on the document checklist that I need to get letters of reference from the past three years of employment. I only graduated in 2007 spring so I've had two full time jobs (2008 and 2009) in the past two years and before that I had probably 3-4 part time student jobs. Do I need to get all three part time positions to write me reference letters from three years back? Or do they just want to know about full time work. Seem kinda silly to get my 4 hour a week library monitor job to write me a reference for immigration purposes.

Thanks for any ideas/comments.
You need to supply letter reference(s) relevant to the applicable NOC job title for which you are applying under.

GO83

Oct 19, 2009
Okay that what I thought but why does it not state that in the document list?

Anyways if I'm only using my current job for the NOC and nothing else counts I can just go ahead with submitting information on that one job?

Also. I ripped out my Canadian study permit at the direction of a boarder guard who said it was illegal to have both my current work permit and my old student visa in my passport. So I tossed it out and now the CEC application wants a copy of my lastest student visa. Is there any way to get a copy of this from CIC? Its not a valid permit so I don't know why they would issue me a copy of an old visa. Ideas?

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
GO83 said:
Okay that what I thought but why does it not state that in the document list?

Anyways if I'm only using my current job for the NOC and nothing else counts I can just go ahead with submitting information on that one job?

Also. I ripped out my Canadian study permit at the direction of a boarder guard who said it was illegal to have both my current work permit and my old student visa in my passport. So I tossed it out and now the CEC application wants a copy of my lastest student visa. Is there any way to get a copy of this from CIC? Its not a valid permit so I don't know why they would issue me a copy of an old visa. Ideas?
The document list is just a checklist of all the possibly necessary things to include, to completely understand exactly what is required and what is not, you would have to read IRPA, IRPR, Operation Manual, Instruction Guide.

If you have a degree/diploma/certificate indicating that you are eligible under CEC, you can produce those as proof for having a valid study permit for the duration of your studies.

GO83

Oct 19, 2009
nope just have studied in canada at an approved institution for the allotted time. i am using my 5 years of undergrad studies at the university of victoria as my education requirement