+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship to Indian born Kid

Canadavisa1230

Star Member
Sep 15, 2018
Hello Everyone. I came as a student to Canada and later got my PR and then I gave up my Indian citizenship and become a Canadian Citizen. Sponsored my wife she become PR. Now she is pregnant due to some health issue she got stuck in India. could not travel back to Canada. Most likely my kid will born in India. The question is Can I apply Canadian Citizenship for my indian born Kid? if yes how complicate is that process and how long can I expect that process takes. Also My wife PR expires in 2026 March. she already spent 2.5 years in canada. So will there be any problem for her to renew her PR once she come back here ?

Please help with this query. I really appreciate your help on this.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello Everyone. I came as a student to Canada and later got my PR and then I gave up my Indian citizenship and become a Canadian Citizen. Sponsored my wife she become PR. Now she is pregnant due to some health issue she got stuck in India. could not travel back to Canada. Most likely my kid will born in India. The question is Can I apply Canadian Citizenship for my indian born Kid? if yes how complicate is that process and how long can I expect that process takes.
Yes, you apply for certificate of canadian citizenship for child born abroad, and a temporary passport. You'll need to liaise with the consular dept of GAC/high commission to work out the sequencing, as well as what you'll need. But it can be done in matter of several months.

[I think the suggested sequence is apply for the certificate, keep a copy, and apply with that for the temp passport. But best to check.]

Also My wife PR expires in 2026 March. she already spent 2.5 years in canada. So will there be any problem for her to renew her PR once she come back here ?
There shouldn't be any trouble IF she has a valid PR card, and IF at the date of entry to Canada she has been outside of Canada less than 1095 days in the five years prior to that date of entry. (Days before the five year date 'drop off' and are no longer relevant to the residency obligation.)

So for example if she returns January 1 2025, the q is whether she has been outside of Canada less than 1095 days between Jan 1 2020 and Jan 1 2025. Any days in prior to Canada Dec 31 2019 no longer count.

PR status itself doesn't expire, of course.

Canadavisa1230

Star Member
Sep 15, 2018
Yes, you apply for certificate of canadian citizenship for child born abroad, and a temporary passport. You'll need to liaise with the consular dept of GAC/high commission to work out the sequencing, as well as what you'll need. But it can be done in matter of several months.

[I think the suggested sequence is apply for the certificate, keep a copy, and apply with that for the temp passport. But best to check.]

There shouldn't be any trouble IF she has a valid PR card, and IF at the date of entry to Canada she has been outside of Canada less than 1095 days in the five years prior to that date of entry. (Days before the five year date 'drop off' and are no longer relevant to the residency obligation.)

So for example if she returns January 1 2025, the q is whether she has been outside of Canada less than 1095 days between Jan 1 2020 and Jan 1 2025. Any days in prior to Canada Dec 31 2019 no longer count.

First of all Thank you for the reply and information. That means I have to contact Canadian embassy on this? not sure what is GAC/high commission? are u referring to Canada high commission in India ? or Simply get the baby birth certificate from Indian hospital where she/he born? Then go to this site and apply for citizenship certificate attaching proof of Childs birth certificate and parent Citizenship cert and parent Canada passport and my wife PR. Then once you get the Child's Citizenship cert for my child then apply for Canada passport right ?

also I went into this link and filled the details below and its suggesting me to apply online. Apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate: How to apply - Canada.ca

I FILLED THE BELOW QUESTIONARY PLEASE TAKE A LOOK.

Apply online
If you’ve already applied on paper, do not apply online for the same request. If you do, we won’t process your online application.

You may be able to apply online for a citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship). If you can’t or don’t want to apply online, you can apply on paper.

Answer a few questions to check if you can apply online.

What would you like to do? (required)

Get a citizenship certificate for the first time
Who are you applying for? (required)
My child (under 18 years old)
The parent applying must be the child’s

biological parent, or
legal parent at birth if it’s a non-biological parent
Is your child a permanent resident of Canada? (required)

No
How many children are you applying for? (required)
1 child
Where was your child born? (required)
Outside Canada
When your child was born, was one of their parents a Canadian citizen? (required)
Yes
Was the Canadian parent born in Canada? (required)
No
When did the parent become a Canadian citizen? (required)
On or after April 17, 2009
When the Canadian parent was born or adopted, was one of their parents (your grandparent) a Canadian citizen or crown servant?

(required)

No
You can apply online

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate or global affairs Canada (gac).

You need consular services section, NOT visa section.

Of course there are forma to fill out. Apart from that obvious part, I do not understand your question.

imranahmed10

Jul 17, 2013

Hi , I’m also in similar situation and mostly my baby will be born in india and im a Canadian citizen. My question is how long will the citizenship certificate of new born and getting baby passport from India? Have you already done it? What’s the processing time. Should you go in person or can you do everything online?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi , I’m also in similar situation and mostly my baby will be born in india and im a Canadian citizen. My question is how long will the citizenship certificate of new born and getting baby passport from India? Have you already done it? What’s the processing time. Should you go in person or can you do everything online?
I did not do this in India. As above, I suggest contacting the high commission/consular section. I have heard many people comment that getting 'home country' passport and docs was bigger delay. Most I have known that were prepared did not have issues with the process in terms of timing.