+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen Outland spousal sponsorship - REALLY Need help as we finalize application

NixSupernova

Aug 6, 2023
Hello Everyone!

I wrote a thread and summitted it but it seems to have disappeared so here I will write again in hopes of getting some much needed advice :)

My husband and I are about to submit our application but we want to be sure of a few things first that are unclear

I am currently living with my husband in Argentina

First question - we have heard from a facebook group that people have automatically received working visas after only a few months of waiting after submitting spousal applications. Is this something new? I have not read about this anywhere and would love some insight as this really changes things (and is really exciting!) They said they did not have to apply separately or pay any additional fees and were given this automatically??!

Our most important question is this : When filling out the application imm0008 it asks if the principal applicant has in the past 5 years lived outside of their country of citizenship for over 6 months - NO he has not- NOT in a ROW. But then, on the Canada immigration spousal application guide, it states that this does not necessarily mean in a row - SO he has collectively been in the US for 12 months in total over the past 5 years BUT never for more than 4.5 months at a time. So how are we supposed to approach this? From my understanding and perspective when reading the application, the answer is clearly NO. But then when reading the guide it says "not necessarily in a row" but this is not clear on the form at all.

Second - Since I am not currently working in Canada, it says I only need to provide a LoE to explain how I intend to support us - but should i also include my ROEs / tax returns from previous years? I had my boss write me a letter for open invitation to return to my long standing position ( I have been with the company since 2016) that includes my rate of pay and free accommodation etc. I also included documents showing I will be receiving an inheritance from my great-aunt in a couple of months, I have included a letter from my mother stating we have her full financial support and also another offer for free accommodation. I have also included screenshots of an online course I will be taking while here in Argentina to be able to provide an extra supplementary income during the winter when I am typically laid off from my job. I explained this all in the LoE and stated my estimated income range from this also. My work history doesn't look so great due to covid ( and having long covid sickness) so my last year of work was shorter than normal, then the year prior to covid I made a lot of money. I briefly explained this in my work history LoE. Otherwise we have some savings in cash, because here in Argentina it's too unstable to keep anything in the bank so we only have cash. I really hope this will all be enough for them to approve me as a sponsor.

third- Should my husband include his pre approval work permit letter from malta while we were there? He didn't end up going through with it as I couldn't find a job and we ran out of time on my visitor visa so we abandon the plan and came to Argentina instead and decided to go to Canada to settle, work, and start a family there.

fourth- on the history of employment section is it ok that I list two time periods (the last year unemployed) and the summer before when I was employed and then on the next line put "Please see ___ LoE employment history. docx for further details? I don't have enough room to list everything here and two spaces get taken up by COVID government support and then covid lockdown explanation I think it looks absolutely terrible so I would rather explain everything in the LoE... furthermore is the LoE ok to be listed in point form or does it have to be in sentences and paragraphs?

Thank you so much for any advice :)

NixSupernova

Aug 6, 2023
The conflicting information is truly outstanding! haha.

Here it clearly states we do not need a police certificate if have not spent more than 6 months in a row.. :s

Police certificates
If you and your family members are 18 years of age and older and aren’t permanent residents or Canadian citizens, you must provide a valid police certificate for any country other than Canada in which you spent 6 or more months in a row since the age of 18.

And so what about all these people in this facebook group who claim they received their working visas automatically? and also video on youtube says it is a new policy

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Here it clearly states we do not need a police certificate if have not spent more than 6 months in a row.. :s

Police certificates
If you and your family members are 18 years of age and older and aren’t permanent residents or Canadian citizens, you must provide a valid police certificate for any country other than Canada in which you spent 6 or more months in a row since the age of 18.

And so what about all these people in this facebook group who claim they received their working visas automatically? and also video on youtube says it is a new policy
Please don't go by any information youtube videos. There is a ton of misinformation there and people just trying to get hits.

Reactions: Kananaskis

Kananaskis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2023

Police certificates

You DON'T need to provide if you didn't stay in a row. That's because majority of countries a tourist visa can be no longer than 6 months (in a row).
Follow that guide as it states.

I reiterate what Scylla said. Do not follow YouTube videos.

I am reposting my answer bellow with the correct information for other people to see.

1) Not true. You have to apply for a TRV, you have to apply and you have to pay for your work permit.
2)If he stayed more than 6 months (IN A ROW), you need to inform that and provide a police certificate (I think in the US it is the FBI clearance).
3) You don't need a certain amount of income to be approved as a sponsor, but IRCC wants to make sure you have means to provide for yourself (a.k.a not going to be a homeless person). With everything you have explained and prepared, you should be on a good spot. The only issue is the cash money, you can't really prove that, so I'd suggest maybe transferring that money to a bank account in Canada to be able to support evidence of such amount.
4) Maltese immigration status won't have any effect in your Canadian immigration status, so no. Keep unnecessary documents out of your application.
5) Yes, just make sure you provide the letter and the correct file name. You can attach as many additional documents as you would like. Just keep it organized and properly indicated which one is which.

Kananaskis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2023
In that video the policy they are referring to is the Spousal reunification, which allows you to get a work permit if you are in Canada with your spousal and if you have an ongoing Spousal application.
You do not get it automatically, you need to apply to go to Canada first (TRV) and once in Canada (and after you have in hands your Spousal Application AOR) you can then apply for an Open Work Permit.