+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen for Estranged Child

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, he lives in Canada but for whatever reason known to him, he does not want to cooperate even for the welfare of the child.
Sorry I don’t understand what length of undertaking refers to. Can you elaborate on this please? Is that how long the child has to live with the sponsoring parent?

I’m grateful for your time. Thank you
The length of undertaking is that the father needs to sign off and agree to be financial responsibility for the child (not live with) so for at least 10 years. So even if he wants nothing to do with his child he is still is financially responsible for the care of the child.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1355&top=14

Reactions: Twinkletwin

Twinkletwin

May 7, 2021
There is no action based on law. Your child has no rights to PR or citizenship.

If the child is 5 or under when PR is obtained, then the citizenship application can be submitted as soon as the child has moved to Canada. The father will need to submit and support the citizenship application (as well as the PR application). It's all going to be driven by him (not by your).
Just as I thought.
Thank you for providing clarity. I understand where I stand now and what causes are available to me.

Twinkletwin

May 7, 2021

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also add that even if you take him to court to receive child support unless his income is very high child support may not be very much money. Have you lived in Canada? You seem to be convinced you child will thrive here but we have very similar issues to the UK. You also mention our medical system. The UK actually provides more coverage than Canada. For example Canada doesn’t have universal dental care, pharmacare, vision care, no free access to physiotherapy outside the hospital, etc.

Twinkletwin

May 7, 2021
With regard to child support, It isn’t the amount that matters to me but the enforcement of his responsibilities towards a child he willingly co-created. I don’t think it is fair for me to shoulder all the responsibilities of bringing an innocent life into this world ehen ab initio, it was a joint decision.

As per healthcare, I only mentioned that because I was looking at a scenario where I would just be trying to find my cet in a new country and God forbid my child falls ill and I need emergency care; it will be comforting to know that he would be able to obtain treatment in the interim. I wasn’t thinking oh, I’ll get full medical coverage for himat the tax payers behest, no. However, now that it has been made clear that he isn’t entitled to Canadian citizenship, I would be looking into getting health insurance should we make the move.

In answer to your question whether I’ve been in Canada before? Yes I have visited Ontario on numerous occasions and have only stayed for 3 months maximum but I completely fell in love with its space and tranquility over the cramped hustling and bustling life of metropolitan England.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
With regard to child support, It isn’t the amount that matters to me but the enforcement of his responsibilities towards a child he willingly co-created. I don’t think it is fair for me to shoulder all the responsibilities of bringing an innocent life into this world ehen ab initio, it was a joint decision.

As per healthcare, I only mentioned that because I was looking at a scenario where I would just be trying to find my cet in a new country and God forbid my child falls ill and I need emergency care; it will be comforting to know that he would be able to obtain treatment in the interim. I wasn’t thinking oh, I’ll get full medical coverage for himat the tax payers behest, no. However, now that it has been made clear that he isn’t entitled to Canadian citizenship, I would be looking into getting health insurance should we make the move.

In answer to your question whether I’ve been in Canada before? Yes I have visited Ontario on numerous occasions and have only stayed for 3 months maximum but I completely fell in love with its space and tranquility over the cramped hustling and bustling life of metropolitan England.
Like the UK we have both more rural and urban environments. You don't need citizenship to access healthcare. Who qualifies for healthcare varies by province. Many try to find jobs that include extended health benefits to help pay for part of dental care, prescriptions, medical devices, glasses, etc. which can be very costly. Would focus on whether you qualify to immigrate or whether you are likely to get accepted as an international student and whether you'll be able to bring your child and whether there is a market for your skills in Canada. You can actually still take your ex partner to court for child support without living in Canada you just need to hire a lawyer.