+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen Certificate

mpmnyc

Jul 26, 2020
I am looking to obtain Canadian citizen certificate or residency in Canada. My grandparents were both born in Alberta and were Canadian citizens that naturalized to US Citizens in October 1951 - My grandfather worked for Canadian Pacific Railroad since 1921 and my mother was born in California in January 1940 while they were stationed in Oakland for the railroad. Between 1940 and 1951 the family returned to Canada and stationed in Victoria, BC, but in 1951 returned to Oakland and my grandparents and uncle naturalized to the US. My mother was US citizen by birth, but her parents/family where Canadian at the time of birth and for her first 11 years.

Would this allow me to obtain a Canadian Citizen Certificate or residency of some-type?

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am looking to obtain Canadian citizen certificate or residency in Canada. My grandparents were both born in Alberta and were Canadian citizens that naturalized to US Citizens in October 1951 - My grandfather worked for Canadian Pacific Railroad since 1921 and my mother was born in California in January 1940 while they were stationed in Oakland for the railroad. Between 1940 and 1951 the family returned to Canada and stationed in Victoria, BC, but in 1951 returned to Oakland and my grandparents and uncle naturalized to the US. My mother was US citizen by birth, but her parents/family where Canadian at the time of birth and for her first 11 years.

Would this allow me to obtain a Canadian Citizen Certificate or residency of some-type?
Your mother can benefit from the first generation board abroad rule and is entitled to Canadian citizenship.

Unfortunately this rule does not extend to the second generation board abroad (you). If you wish to become a permanent resident / citizen of Canada, you will need to qualify on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Your mother can benefit from the first generation board abroad rule and is entitled to Canadian citizenship.

Unfortunately this rule does not extend to the second generation board abroad (you). If you wish to become a permanent resident / citizen of Canada, you will need to qualify on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html
Not if their mother applied for and was granted citizenship before OP was born, at least according to the questionnaire. It's a borderline case, but possible since she did live in Canada for 11 years. We would have to know what kind of paperwork her family had back in the day.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Not if their mother applied for and was granted citizenship before OP was born, at least according to the questionnaire. It's a borderline case, but possible since she did live in Canada for 11 years. We would have to know what kind of paperwork her family had back in the day.
The OP's mother was born a Canadian by descent, it doesnt matter when she applied for the certificate to prove her citizenship. The OP is the second generation born abroad.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
The OP's mother was born a Canadian by descent, it doesnt matter when she applied for the certificate to prove her citizenship. The OP is the second generation born abroad.
It's not that simple. If born before 2009 (which I assume OP is), the second generation born abroad can potentially receive citizenship by descent if the first generation parent had their citizenship status confirmed before their child was born. You can fill out the questionnaire yourself and check.