+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada-U.S. commute amid COVID-19

suemon

Apr 5, 2017
My copr expires in less than 2 weeks, so really tough spot for me right now.
I hope everything will work out for you! I am not sure what the policy would be like for you, but try to reach out to IRCC or CBP to see whether they can help you. Best of luck!

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
I hope everything will work out for you! I am not sure what the policy would be like for you, but try to reach out to IRCC or CBP to see whether they can help you. Best of luck!
IRCC customer care says come over. But there is a high likelyhood of getting stuck in Canada - US can close it doors any time.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
I work in school, so they asked in detail why I need to go. I work and live in NY state during the school year. My location is quite far from NYC and the local outbreak is pretty mild. There is no required quarantine after entering the US, but there is a 2-week quarantine when you return to Canada. The Canadian border control will record your contact info when you return. The agent said that they could be checking on you. Do follow the quarantine strictly if you decide to go. Hope this helps.
What type of visa do you have (for the US side), happy to hear they allowed you in.

suemon

Apr 5, 2017
IRCC customer care says come over. But there is a high likelyhood of getting stuck in Canada - US can close it doors any time.
glad you can still land, but sorry about the rick it involves at the moment. it's so hard at the moment. hope things will work out for you.

Mar 8, 2020
prusa - Were you able to complete your landing? I'm in a similar situation. My COPR expires in August 2020 and I'm planning to do soft landing in June along with my family. While there's no problem in entering Canada and following their procedures (14-day quarantine, etc), I don't know how the return to the US will be. Can you share your experience?

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
prusa - Were you able to complete your landing? I'm in a similar situation. My COPR expires in August 2020 and I'm planning to do soft landing in June along with my family. While there's no problem in entering Canada and following their procedures (14-day quarantine, etc), I don't know how the return to the US will be. Can you share your experience?
No landing is not being allowed at the land border unless you are moving permanently.

if you are ok to fly, you may fly and come back after 14 days of quarantine.

I opened the web form for extension.

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Reviving this thread. As we don't see an end to the border closings. Has anyone been commuting between Canada and US on h1b on a daily basis? Is it being allowed?

hoyeshi

Aug 21, 2020
Closing the US border is also being discussed. You create a big

How would you be able to self-isolate for 14 days after entering Canada? If you are following the directions you will likely be asked to sign you will break the self-isolation if you back to work the next day.
essential workers does not need to quarantine

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016