+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada parament residence cardholder must not stay outside of Canada for more than 6 months?

Alammarin

May 18, 2022
Hello Everyone,
I've sponsored my wife, Thankfully she Landed in Canada and got her PR Card, She stayed for a month but then she left-back in order to finish her last year of study outside of Canada,
Most of the people keep telling me that she must re-enter Canada before\every 6 months NO LONGER!!!

1: Do you guys know if she must do this entry to Canada before\every 6 months?

2: Can she stay outside of Canada for 1 year and 5 months, so she will finish her schooling outside of Canada and then come back to Canada to live permanently?

Please advise,

Thank you.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello Everyone,
I've sponsored my wife, Thankfully she Landed in Canada and got her PR Card, She stayed for a month but then she left-back in order to finish her last year of study outside of Canada,
Most of the people keep telling me that she must re-enter Canada before\every 6 months NO LONGER!!!

1:
Do you guys know if she must do this entry to Canada before\every 6 months?

2: Can she stay outside of Canada for 1 year and 5 months, so she will finish her schooling outside of Canada and then come back to Canada to live permanently?

Please advise,

Thank you.
Yes she can. As long as she meet her RO, i.e. stay in Canada for at least 730 days (~ 2 years) in a rolling 5 years period.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=10

Or you can do the reverse math, make sure she doesn't spend more than 3 years outside of Canada in the past 5 years period.

There is no 6 months rule to keep her RO. BUT some province may have other residency rule to stay on province healthcare coverage.