+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Emergency Response Benefit (COVID-19) & Sponsorship

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
I am a new permanent resident (landed fall 2019). I have submitted an application to sponsor my common-law spouse (AOR pending).

I was wondering if I can apply fr the CERB (part of the government's COVID-19) response and still be eligible to sponsor. I believe there are a few questions regarding if the sponsor receives financial support from the government. Does receiving the CERB benefit count in this respect?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a new permanent resident (landed fall 2019). I have submitted an application to sponsor my common-law spouse (AOR pending).

I was wondering if I can apply fr the CERB (part of the government's COVID-19) response and still be eligible to sponsor. I believe there are a few questions regarding if the sponsor receives financial support from the government. Does receiving the CERB benefit count in this respect?
CERB is not welfare.

Reactions: MattFS218

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you remain unemployed throughout the sponsorship process and have no other savings or job prospects that may be an issue later on especially if your spouse is in a similar position.

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
If you remain unemployed throughout the sponsorship process and have no other savings or job prospects that may be an issue later on especially if your spouse is in a similar position.
canuck78,

I am not unemployed, I simply finding it difficult to work because I have to home school my kids, because zoom and workbooks cannot keep my children occupied. According to the government of Canada page, this is a valid reason for applying for the CERB. I have plenty of savings and my wife is financially self sufficient. Does CIC have access to who applies for CERB? I am trying to understand if CERB is more of the government's way of boosting the economy (like the $1200 US government checks) or is viewed more a a welfare benefit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
canuck78,

I am not unemployed, I simply finding it difficult to work because I have to home school my kids, because zoom and workbooks cannot keep my children occupied. According to the government of Canada page, this is a valid reason for applying for the CERB. I have plenty of savings and my wife is financially self sufficient. Does CIC have access to who applies for CERB? I am trying to understand if CERB is more of the government's way of boosting the economy (like the $1200 US government checks) or is viewed more a a welfare benefit.
If you are working full-time and being paid your normal salary (or a portion of your salary) CERB is not for you. CERB is really for those who are are unemployed but do not qualify for EI for various reasons like being self-employed. It is not a stimilulus cheque to all residents like in the US. CERB will likely be viewed as a form of unemployment aid.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canuck78,

As I said, CERB isn't welfare; it is a taxable benefit. If you are still working at all, you don't qualify for CERB. You must be completely unable to work to qualify.

CERB is both to assist people and try to prop up the economy.

Regardless of whether you end up claiming or not, you can still sponsor your spouse.

Reactions: MattFS218

NaineshPatel

Apr 15, 2020

May be this is helpful to you
Check out following link from Canadina Government

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#sponsors