+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada child benefit

TN89

May 7, 2020
Hello all,
Can I apply for child benefit once I land in canada as PR? I mean in the first few months before filling taxes?
thanks!

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Hello all,
Can I apply for child benefit once I land in canada as PR? I mean in the first few months before filling taxes?
thanks!
I don't think so, you need to have the tax file return. Because they need to assess your income, say you are entering Ontario, then they will see if you fall in that low to middle income category.

shl121

Jan 14, 2019
I did it without file tax. they will give you based on the last year income in ur original home country, you just have to prove the child is in canada with you

SIKONDAV

Sep 26, 2019
Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,
thanks!
You need to have landed as PR before you qualify. Child benefit is based on your previous income and looks like you have been working in the US where you were likely making a decent income and exchange rates will be factored in. CCB is geared to income so for families making a good income CCB is welcomed but doesn't provide a lot of extra money. Something is better than nothing but if you are really anxious to receive CCB I hope you've calculated what can be expected and the costs related to children in Canada. There will also be processing delays so you can't expect to receive child benefit payments right away. To minimize delays make sure to include as much proof of income as you can because people have been asked for more proof.