+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you withdraw your application for a Bridging Work Permit

ganges

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Hi guys,

I have a situation where my closed work permit extension has been applied. Simultaneously, I am eligible to apply for Bridging work permit too(as I have received my AOR).
My first preference is get the closed work permit extension approved. My current employer keeps employees only on closed work permit.

As the closed work permit extension has already been applied, I expect an answer from CIC in next 4-5 days. And during the last 2 days, I am thinking to apply for Bridging work permit.

My question: if for some reason my closed work permit extension gets delayed, can I cancel my Bridging work permit application? I will have to do this because once the Bridging work permit gets approved, CIC will never approve my closed work permit extension. But the opposite can be done(closed WP first and then Bridging work permit).

Seniors, please advise. I have very less time left.

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Didn't you ask a similar question before?

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/closed-wp-in-progress-and-want-to-apply-for-bowp-t198055.0.html

Anyway, if you are getting a response within 4-5 days, then the BOWP application wouldn't interfere with your close work permit. Nobody's sitting there checking your applications to deny the previous one right away. It will take some time before they start processing.

Did your employer specifically insist that you have a closed work permit? That is VERY illegal of them.

And yes, you can cancel any application. Call in.

ganges

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks a lot thisisauser.
That is the answer I was looking for.

I will apply for BOWP then. And if some reason, I noticed that the closed WP is getting delayed, I will cancel the BOWP application.

And yes, my employer has categorically said that they will not keep employees in open work permit. It has to be either Closed work permit or a PR holder or a canadian citizen. :)

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
ganges said:
Thanks a lot thisisauser.
That is the answer I was looking for.

I will apply for BOWP then. And if some reason, I noticed that the closed WP is getting delayed, I will cancel the BOWP application.

And yes, my employer has categorically said that they will not keep employees in open work permit. It has to be either Closed work permit or a PR holder or a canadian citizen. :)
It's up to you but if you have this in writing from them you should consult HRSDC and CIC. I'm no lawyer and I may be wrong but this is effectively making sure that foreign workers have "limited options" and would be illegal.