+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you apply for OSAP while waiting for Permanent Residency?

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2014; COPR received 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
Hi there,

I am in the process of sponsoring my American husband for PR. We applied in January 2014 and are expecting (or rather hoping!) to get our PR approved before September. He wants to go to school once he gets here - starting in September would be great, but we might have to wait for January 2015 term.
My question is - can he apply for OSAP while waiting on his PR, if we submit the documentation that the process is well under way? Or can he only apply once he has been approved? I've lived in Ontario for way longer than the past 12 months, so we are covered in that section.
He has a minimal amount of student loans from the States, they went into default but he started paying them more than a year ago and they haven't been in default since then. He did a couple terms of Uni when he graduated from High School (2007) but failed and dropped out (I think he only finished maybe 1 course), and recently did a course at a college and got a 4.0 (both from universities/colleges in the States). Can we put that last one on his application for OSAP and not his older attempts? Will those affect his application? I am pretty sure we cannot exclude them but it would be nice.

Thanks a lot, sorry for all the questions and I hope someone can clear this up for me!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Zarilenth said:
Hi there,

I am in the process of sponsoring my American husband for PR. We applied in January 2014 and are expecting (or rather hoping!) to get our PR approved before September. He wants to go to school once he gets here - starting in September would be great, but we might have to wait for January 2015 term.
My question is - can he apply for OSAP while waiting on his PR, if we submit the documentation that the process is well under way? Or can he only apply once he has been approved? I've lived in Ontario for way longer than the past 12 months, so we are covered in that section.
He has a minimal amount of student loans from the States, they went into default but he started paying them more than a year ago and they haven't been in default since then. He did a couple terms of Uni when he graduated from High School (2007) but failed and dropped out (I think he only finished maybe 1 course), and recently did a course at a college and got a 4.0 (both from universities/colleges in the States). Can we put that last one on his application for OSAP and not his older attempts? Will those affect his application? I am pretty sure we cannot exclude them but it would be nice.

Thanks a lot, sorry for all the questions and I hope someone can clear this up for me!
I don't believe so. https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/A-ZListofAid/UCONT004192.html
Just having an application in place will not meet the stated requirements.

Citizenship
You must be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident of Canada (landed immigrant), or a Protected Person. Those studying under a student visa are not eligible for a COISL.

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2014; COPR received 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
zardoz said:
I don't believe so. https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/A-ZListofAid/UCONT004192.html
Just having an application in place will not meet the stated requirements.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I was hopeful though. Thanks Zardoz!