+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can work experience acquired on PR be used for future CEC application after relinquishing PR?

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
This is a completely hypothetical question that came to my mind.

Can such work experience be used for future CEC app if someone competes one year of Canadian work experience and relinquish PR to move out of Canada for 3 years?

If someone returns to Canada after long absence, not meeting RO, allowed in, finishes one year work and they again need to move out for professional reason, can they give up PR and used work experience for CEC application within next 3 years?

Reactions: jakklondon

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
I don't know the answer (I would just say anything is possible unless there is a specific law and regulation banning it), but I wonder if it's worth doing it. Going through immigration paperwork is costly and stressful enterprise. If you really want to be a PR and stay there (and it would seem that you wouldn't think of re-applying for PR, unless you had strong motivation to stay permanently in Canada), then easiest route is to bite the bullet, stay 3 years in Canada, get your citizenship and then feel free to move out anytime and for any period of time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Can such work experience be used for future CEC app if someone competes one year of Canadian work experience and relinquish PR to move out of Canada for 3 years?

If someone returns to Canada after long absence, not meeting RO, allowed in, finishes one year work and they again need to move out for professional reason, can they give up PR and used work experience for CEC application within next 3 years?
The first scenario will not work. This is because to qualify under CEC, your 1 year of Canadian work experience must fall within the previous three years from the date you apply.

The second scenario may work. However you would need to make sure the 1 year of Canadian work experience falls full within the previous three years on the day your complete CEC application is submitted. So applying witihn the next 3 years won't work. You would need to apply within the next 2 years to make sure the 1 year of Canadian work experince falls within the previous 3 years.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
Can that Canadian work experience be considered under FSW after 3 years or its just lost if someone want to apply for FSW along with additional 1 year foreign work exp? I know work exp need to acquired within last 10 years for FSW.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019

You cannot use Canadian work experience obtained as a PR to re-apply under the Express Entry Programs, because it is a condition that you must have obtained the Canadian work experience as a foreigner on a temporary visa.

Source: I asked a reputable immigration lawyer (not consultant) this exact question.

Note this is for the federal Express Entry streams. There may be other programs that I do not not well that may allow it.

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
You cannot use Canadian work experience obtained as a PR to re-apply under the Express Entry Programs, because it is a condition that you must have obtained the Canadian work experience as a foreigner on a temporary visa.

Source: I asked a reputable immigration lawyer (not consultant) this exact question.

Note this is for the federal Express Entry streams. There may be other programs that I do not not well that may allow it.
Hello, I understand that we cannot use the experience to apply as CEC because you need to work on a temporary visa.
However, for CRS calculation, the prompt is "i. In the last ten years, how many years of skilled work experience in Canada do you have? It must have been paid and full-time (or an equal amount in part-time).".
I feel that since there is nothing that states it needs to be on a temporary visa, we can claim the work experience in terms of CRS points.
So, can the work experience gained as a PR qualify us to get more CRS points but we qualify as FSW?