+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can use atypical pharases/words ?

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Hi
I've never seen phrase like whopping effort but also massive/huge/quite a lot/enormous... and many adjectives
whopping as an informal adjective means very large/huge
but is not made any problem while in either speaking or writing used like whopping support from public instead of overwhelming support from...

and one thing more in writing section; specially in task 1 letter, instead of writing:
I would be highly appreciated your assistance in this matter

use

I would extol your assistance in this matter

while both sentences preserve their meaning

Thanks

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Please don't comment here if you tend to showoff/ demonstrate your language skill If you really have.
Be polite firstly,
Then, don't ask a question toward others' query
If you know the accurate answer put the comment otherwise do not pick on somebody
thanks

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
I've asked whether can be used or not
I'm not sure whether should contain "kidding" in response or still not

thanks again for your consideration

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi
I've never seen phrase like whopping effort but also massive/huge/quite a lot/enormous... and many adjectives
but is not made any problem while in either speaking or writing used like whopping support from public instead of overwhelming support from...

and one thing more in writing section; specially in task 1 letter, instead of writing:

use

Thanks
"Highly appreciate" and "extol" do not have the same meaning. So no, you cannot use "extol" in place of "highly appreciate". "Highly appreciate" means to be very thankful for. "Extol" means to highly praise to others. They aren't interchangeable.

Reactions: santi_marlon

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
"Highly appreciate" and "extol" do not have the same meaning. So no, you cannot use "extol" in place of "highly appreciate". "Highly appreciate" means to be very thankful for. "Extol" means to highly praise to others. They aren't interchangeable.
If we pass over the meaning of "would be highly appreciated", ignore first one,
using second sentence could be right I'd extol ... ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If we pass over the meaning of "would be highly appreciated", ignore first one,
using second sentence could be right I'd extol ... ?
No, it would be incorrect. That sentence doesn't make sense with the word "extol". It will be regarded as an error if you write that in an IELTS test.

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
I have always been thankful toward all your kind and swift response

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Hi

use

Thanks
There is this thing called idiomatic English. It means how the language is used usually. Best is to stick to it. Slangs, informal usages tend to be very context sensitive. A whopping loss is okay but a whopping truck or pillow is perhaps NOT. Informal usage can be used for great effect in some contexts and in others they are simply wrong. Best is to stick to formal idiomatic english. Here are some grammatically correct BUT non idiomatic sentences.

Example : I like my wife's cooking.
Weird Usage : I greatly celebrate the physical manifestation of the culinary skills possessed by the spouse of mine.

• Love

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Example : I like my wife's cooking.
Weird Usage : I greatly celebrate the physical manifestation of the culinary skills possessed by the spouse of mine.
Although both of the represent close meaning; I got what you meant, still first one states more clearly