+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Study gap of 4 years makes it impossible to get a study permit?

AvisTrump

Jun 16, 2018
My highest qualification is graduate in Bachelor of Arts which I completed from Manipur University in 2017. I completed my senior high school from Manipur Public School in 2009 and high school from Kendriya Vidyala Lamphelpat No. 1 in 2007. After Senior high school I enroll myself in one of the DU university college called Sri Venkateshwara but I dropped out after a year. Went down south India and enroll myself in BBM in Bangalore but couldn't complete the course. Even after realising, "culinary arts" is what I want to do to fulfil my dream of becoming a chef, I pursue B.A because it is consider important to hold a bachelor degree. It was just last year I graduated and now I am thinking of changing the course completely which is funny.

For quite a while now I have been looking for any career that would give me money and I have had worked as a medical counsellor with an organisation but then again it was money first, passion later. I was earning but I was not content with my life and it depressed me on seeing where it was heading. And it came to my mind that if I wasn't passionate about what I wanted to do for my future, I wouldn't be able to succeed in whatever my career was. Thats when I decided I need to go to a culinary school and chase my dreams.

I picked CIC, Holland College in Charlottetown, PEI and got the offer letter for 2 years course duration which falls under the general category college. I needed assistance in processing the vias so I approach "The Chopras" because I was not confident to do it all by myself. There I was told that due to the gap in 4 years, it will be very difficult to get the visa, my IELTS score in overall is 6.5 with 7-Speaking, 6.5-writing, 6-listening and 5.5-reading. The university demand 6 overall IELTS score.

I confirm my seat by paying 500 CAD for the September intake, even transfer the first installment tuition fees of the first year of 8113 CAD and have a balance amount of 14lakhs in my account wherein the total tuition fees for the 2 years course is 30641 CAD which is approximately 16 lakhs in Indian rupees exclusive of the GIC which is not mandatory to buy.

Shown the balance sheets of my mom and two sisters who will be financing my tuition fees for the second year, their form 16 too because I was told that none cant sponsor if its not blood related when I inquire if my first cousin can sponsor me yet "The Chopras" ask me to show more which I am incapable at the moment.

Can anyone experience let me know if my chances of getting a study permit is nil in this case? Is my profile very weak even though I write a strong SOP explaining the circumstances and how willing I am to study culinary arts. I have requested to withdraw the application from the college because I am very helpless and there is none to guide me.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Study gap is not usually any problem at all some people have many years gap and still get a permit. Unless I missed it all you say is you have a BA but no mention which subject given that is where most people fail when their degree and work experience has nothing to do with the course they applying for leaving a visa officer questioning their intent and the need to come to Canada. Plus as you say IELTS might be any issue and why PEI anyway any special reason ?

AvisTrump

Jun 16, 2018
Yes my degree and work experience has nothing to do with the course I am going to opt for. BA stands for Bachelor of Arts (General) wherein I opted for sociology in the final year as a specialization. And Culinary Arts is a complete different field so yes it will definitely make him question my intent. What are the possible ways to persuade the high commission if you can suggest any? Will my IELTs score with 5.5 in reading be a problem? The course I am taking will be mostly of listening and speaking soswouldn't he consider factors in regards to the cousrc I am doing? PEI because of the college. The culinary arts program in CIC is awarded with the red seal which is the interprovincial standard of excellence for a chosen trade.

Study gap is not usually any problem at all some people have many years gap and still get a permit. Unless I missed it all you say is you have a BA but no mention which subject given that is where most people fail when their degree and work experience has nothing to do with the course they applying for leaving a visa officer questioning their intent and the need to come to Canada. Plus as you say IELTS might be any issue and why PEI anyway any special reason ?

ShireenV

Nov 11, 2019
My highest qualification is graduate in Bachelor of Arts which I completed from Manipur University in 2017. I completed my senior high school from Manipur Public School in 2009 and high school from Kendriya Vidyala Lamphelpat No. 1 in 2007. After Senior high school I enroll myself in one of the DU university college called Sri Venkateshwara but I dropped out after a year. Went down south India and enroll myself in BBM in Bangalore but couldn't complete the course. Even after realising, "culinary arts" is what I want to do to fulfil my dream of becoming a chef, I pursue B.A because it is consider important to hold a bachelor degree. It was just last year I graduated and now I am thinking of changing the course completely which is funny.

For quite a while now I have been looking for any career that would give me money and I have had worked as a medical counsellor with an organisation but then again it was money first, passion later. I was earning but I was not content with my life and it depressed me on seeing where it was heading. And it came to my mind that if I wasn't passionate about what I wanted to do for my future, I wouldn't be able to succeed in whatever my career was. Thats when I decided I need to go to a culinary school and chase my dreams.

I picked CIC, Holland College in Charlottetown, PEI and got the offer letter for 2 years course duration which falls under the general category college. I needed assistance in processing the vias so I approach "The Chopras" because I was not confident to do it all by myself. There I was told that due to the gap in 4 years, it will be very difficult to get the visa, my IELTS score in overall is 6.5 with 7-Speaking, 6.5-writing, 6-listening and 5.5-reading. The university demand 6 overall IELTS score.

I confirm my seat by paying 500 CAD for the September intake, even transfer the first installment tuition fees of the first year of 8113 CAD and have a balance amount of 14lakhs in my account wherein the total tuition fees for the 2 years course is 30641 CAD which is approximately 16 lakhs in Indian rupees exclusive of the GIC which is not mandatory to buy.

Shown the balance sheets of my mom and two sisters who will be financing my tuition fees for the second year, their form 16 too because I was told that none cant sponsor if its not blood related when I inquire if my first cousin can sponsor me yet "The Chopras" ask me to show more which I am incapable at the moment.

Can anyone experience let me know if my chances of getting a study permit is nil in this case? Is my profile very weak even though I write a strong SOP explaining the circumstances and how willing I am to study culinary arts. I have requested to withdraw the application from the college because I am very helpless and there is none to guide me.
Hi. How long did it take for you to get an offer letter from Holland College after applying? I have applied for their Baking and Pastry Arts course and am waiting to hear back from them.