+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can spouse of international student travel with existing TRV?

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Hi I am an international student to Quebec and will be travelling to Canada in early 2021. I wonder if I can bring my wife (has a valid visitor visa from years ago) with me for this trip?

According to IRCC:

If your immediate family member will study or work in Canada
You must submit all of your applications together when you apply online.

If they won’t study or work
If they need a visitor visa, you should include their application when you apply online for your study permit.
I didn't include her in my study permit application no mentioning of her travelling with me (I did include her in my CAQ tho). She wants to travel to Canada (as a family member of me) first and submit a SOWP within there. Based on the info from IRCC, I should have included her in my application regardless of her travelling for work or just as a visitor. But unfortunately i did not. Does it mean she is ineligible to travel with me?
The IRCC does say 'if they need a visitor visa'. My wife needs a visa to travel but she already has one. does this rule apply to her?

Any info is appreciated, cheers.

tepla_17

Star Member
Aug 11, 2020
Hello,

I am in a same situation, My wife is a student and I already have visitor visa for few years. Let me know if you got an answer to this question, it would be a great help to me. Did you already travelled? We are planning to travel around feb.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am in a same situation, My wife is a student and I already have visitor visa for few years. Let me know if you got an answer to this question, it would be a great help to me. Did you already travelled? We are planning to travel around feb.
If you aren't travelling together you need an authorization letter. If you are travelling together you have to show the spouse's travel is essential. It is somewhat up to the airline.

tepla_17

Star Member
Aug 11, 2020
Hi I am an international student to Quebec and will be travelling to Canada in early 2021. I wonder if I can bring my wife (has a valid visitor visa from years ago) with me for this trip?

According to IRCC:

I didn't include her in my study permit application no mentioning of her travelling with me (I did include her in my CAQ tho). She wants to travel to Canada (as a family member of me) first and submit a SOWP within there. Based on the info from IRCC, I should have included her in my application regardless of her travelling for work or just as a visitor. But unfortunately i did not. Does it mean she is ineligible to travel with me?
The IRCC does say 'if they need a visitor visa'. My wife needs a visa to travel but she already has one. does this rule apply to her?

Have you traveled to Canada yet? If not, are you planning to travel soon?

Haxuan

Aug 18, 2020
Hello, I am the same as your case, so now have you and your family moved to Canada? Looking forward to sharing from you. Thank you!

Madalinamaria

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020

According to IRCC:

Hey, how did you managed the situation? did you travell togheter?

Madalinamaria

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
Yes we traveled together with no issues. However, the entry policy has been changed since our arrival so I cannot speak for now.
What reason did you tell at the port of entry? I wand y husband to enter for 1 month so he will help me with the new apartament and furniture. Also, I want to take my daughter since she is minor child and has no one to take care of her . Do you tink I wil have problems to entry? On IRCC the informations are confusing