+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone please answer this for me, there seems to be multiple answers.

christinamh

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
I am a US citizen. I have been living with my boyfriend since October 2011. I came back to the states in December and then re-entered in January. I left Canada March 30th and came back to the states. I plan on going back to Canada April 18th. My question is, do I have 6 months from April 18th to stay in Canada, or did that 6 month time frame start back in January? There seems to be multiple answers. Some people say 6 months total out of a year, and others say the 6 month time frame starts over each time you enter Canada. Which is it, and can you confirm this?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

christinamh said:
anyone going to answer this?
Nobody can answer it. You could be refused, you could get 1 months, you could get 6 months. You won't know until you return to the border. No one has a crystal ball. Each entry is treated separately.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Generally (if you are from visa exempt country and get waved through) you get 6 months each time you enter. Once you leave, that's the end of your visitor's visa. But PMM is right, you could get 1 month, 3 months or ZERO months. It's totally up to the border patrol agent.

S

sting

christinamh said:
I am a US citizen. I have been living with my boyfriend since October 2011. I came back to the states in December and then re-entered in January. I left Canada March 30th and came back to the states. I plan on going back to Canada April 18th. My question is, do I have 6 months from April 18th to stay in Canada, or did that 6 month time frame start back in January? There seems to be multiple answers. Some people say 6 months total out of a year, and others say the 6 month time frame starts over each time you enter Canada. Which is it, and can you confirm this?
CBP/CBI will give/allow you for minimum 6 months from the time you are going to re-enter. For US citizen, it has always been like that since 9/11.

Some people say 6 months total out of a year, - COMPLETELY FALSE

others say the 6 month time frame starts over each time you enter Canada - TRUE

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sting said:
CBP/CBI will give/allow you for minimum 6 months from the time you are going to re-enter. For US citizen, it has always been like that since 9/11.

Some people say 6 months total out of a year, - COMPLETELY FALSE

others say the 6 month time frame starts over each time you enter Canada - TRUE

There is no guarantee that you will get 6 months on your entry.