Can someone give me advise?

luvcanada

Star Member
Mar 25, 2009
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it good idea to rent Uhaul or freight forwarding company to move personal belongings from US to Canada? I've read in this forum to have personal belonging with you driving Uhaul because of horrible experience with freight forwarding company. So, any tips and idea which will be better for smooth transition of personal possession?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Try ABF, U-PACK. You load and unload the trailer, but they take care of the driving. You give the driver a copy of your B-4 when they come pick up the trailer and they deal with customs crossing the border. You will have to take your B-4 to the local customs office and obtain clearance before you can unload the trailer. Costs about the same as renting and driving a U-Haul (at least it did when I moved).

luvcanada

Star Member
Mar 25, 2009
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi! links18,

Thank you so much for your reply. You mean I should get one copy of B4 from UPACK to submit at the port of entry to obtain clearance, right? Do I required to pay any extra personal belonging taxes at the port of entry since I am clearing thru UPACK?
Answers appreciated.

links18 said:
Try ABF, U-PACK. You load and unload the trailer, but they take care of the driving. You give the driver a copy of your B-4 when they come pick up the trailer and they deal with customs crossing the border. You will have to take your B-4 to the local customs office and obtain clearance before you can unload the trailer. Costs about the same as renting and driving a U-Haul (at least it did when I moved).

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
luvcanada said:
Hi! links18,

Thank you so much for your reply. You mean I should get one copy of B4 from UPACK to submit at the port of entry to obtain clearance, right? Do I required to pay any extra personal belonging taxes at the port of entry since I am clearing thru UPACK?
Answers appreciated.

links18 said:
You just fill out a B4 as you would if you were driving it across yourself. Give a copy to the ABF driver when he/she picks up the trailer, but keep the original for yourself. When the shipment arrives in Canada, you take your original to the closest customs office to obtain clearance before your unload. ABF charges a fee to process the customs paperwork, but in my recollection it was reasonable. There are no additional taxes that you have to pay for using a shipper.

luvcanada

Star Member
Mar 25, 2009
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks links18, how about jewelery? do I need to take pictures of each individual jewelery?