+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can scientists get a permanent residence?

Viter

Oct 16, 2009
Hi All,

at the moment I have a contradicting information about Canadian laws.

On the one hand, I heard that I have a chance to get permission to work in Canada if I am working in the list of skilled workers who are in demand: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list. And if I am lucky and get this permission, I will be considered as a "temporal worker" (whatever it means).

On the other hand, I know many cases when peoples with PhD in natural sciences got postdoctoral positions in Canada. What wanders me, they did not worked in the fields listed on the page given above. They worked in biology, chemistry, physics. So, they got work permit without being in the list of those who is allowed to get work permit?

Moreover, after one year of living and working in Canada (Toronto) they could apply for something permanent (I do not know what exactly it was, citizenship or just permanent residence).

Can anybody, pleas, explain me the situation?

Gregor

Star Member
May 28, 2009
It is slightly different when it comes to academic jobs; it is really up to university to hire you, however they will first give the preference to Canadian. No need to be on the list. You should be able to apply for permanent visa after one year work, usually university will help you with all your emigration queries etc. The thing is to get a job, so if you see any postdocs you could apply for or teaching positions go for it.
Good luck
Gregor

Viter

Oct 16, 2009
Gregor said:
It is slightly different when it comes to academic jobs; it is really up to university to hire you, however they will first give the preference to Canadian. No need to be on the list. You should be able to apply for permanent visa after one year work, usually university will help you with all your emigration queries etc. The thing is to get a job, so if you see any postdocs you could apply for or teaching positions go for it.
Great. Now it is more clear to me how it works. Thanks. Buy the way, does it work only for postdocs? What about PhD students? Can I get a permanent visa after one year being PhD student?

Can it happen that after one year of being postdoc University decides that I am not good enough to sponsor my permanent visa. I am asking that because in USA university also can apply employee for the green card, but the employee should fulfill some requirements to be promoted by University (like certain number of publications, good recommendations letters and so on). Is it the same in Canada or you just have to work 1 year as a postdoc and it's enough?

Gregor

Star Member
May 28, 2009
Pretty much one year of experience should do (remember that some posdocs are just for a year so you may have to leave Canada and apply for visa), CIC will be asking for reference letters from your employer, which in this case is your promoter, head of the department and HR, so if your work is good you shouldn't have any problems getting good reference letters. Any publications and academic achievements will be welcome that's for sure. Not sure what filed you're in but some psdocs require publications, conferences etc. it always looks good, that will also help you to get a job in University if you intend to continue your carrier in academia.
Not sure how PHDs are considered.
Check this up;
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp
But perhaps you should get advice from a layer as I don't want to misinform you.
All the best
Cheers,
Gregor

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anybody can get a temporary work permit, even people who sell donuts at Tim Hortons. It is permanent residency which is a bit harder to apply for. Applying under the skilled worker program, if you are not in one of the 38 professions, you can still apply if you have a job offer approved by Service Canada. You would need to find somebody willing to give you this job offer and then you can apply. Another way would be to go to Canada on a temporary work permit or a study visa and after a year, you are also allowed to apply.