+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can My Wife cancel my Permanent resident Card once I gave divorce to her?

Nov 15, 2021
Hi. Cutting short. My younger brother went to Canada on Spouse Visa. After some time he gets the Permanent Resident Card. Now his wife is mentally torching him. Not taking proper care of him. after spending some time he came to know she is mentally ill. My brother is currently jobless and she is consistently demanding the House rent, water usage rent. if he divorces her will she be able to cancel the PR status. Or will he be able to move back to Canada after leaving her?

thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi. Cutting short. My younger brother went to Canada on Spouse Visa. After some time he gets the Permanent Resident Card. Now his wife is mentally torching him. Not taking proper care of him. after spending some time he came to know she is mentally ill. My brother is currently jobless and she is consistently demanding the House rent, water usage rent. if he divorces her will she be able to cancel the PR status. Or will he be able to move back to Canada after leaving her?

thanks
She cannot cancel his PR status.

She can report him to IRCC if she believes he engaged in marriage fraud to get PR. However it will be up to IRCC if they investigate this claim or not.

Nov 15, 2021
She cannot cancel his PR status.

She can report him to IRCC if she believes he engaged in marriage fraud to get PR. However it will be up to IRCC if they investigate this claim or not.
Thanks for this she will have to give them some aort of proof... How can she blame him in this...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

thanks
Would add that a wife is not required to “properly care for her husband”. As spouses they are required to both take care of each other. Requiring your brother to contribute financially to the household is also not an unreasonable request. Mental illness doesn’t mean you can’t be married or a productive member of society it’s just like any other medical condition. If the marriage is not working then they can separate and then get divorced. As already noted she can report him if there are concerns about marriage of convenience but it is IRCC who determines whether anything is done about the case. He can not sponsor another spouse for 5 years from his landing date.

Nov 15, 2021
Would add that a wife is not required to “properly care for her husband”. As spouses they are required to both take care of each other. Requiring your brother to contribute financially to the household is also not an unreasonable request. Mental illness doesn’t mean you can’t be married or a productive member of society it’s just like any other medical condition. If the marriage is not working then they can separate and then get divorced. As already noted she can report him if there are concerns about marriage of convenience but it is IRCC who determines whether anything is done about the case. He can not sponsor another spouse for 5 years from his landing date.
Thanks, Canuck! He has been in Canada for the last 3 months. And this marriage was an arranged marriage here in Pakistan. In Pakistan together they have spent 15 days. They have been married for almost 1.5 years. But His wife immediately moved back to Canada after marriage. Mental Illness Means she got hyper without any reason and start shouting at him. He is there for the last 3 months and is trying his level best to find the Job there. but unfortunately, luck is not supporting him...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, Canuck! He has been in Canada for the last 3 months. And this marriage was an arranged marriage here in Pakistan. In Pakistan together they have spent 15 days. They have been married for almost 1.5 years. But His wife immediately moved back to Canada after marriage. Mental Illness Means she got hyper without any reason and start shouting at him. He is there for the last 3 months and is trying his level best to find the Job there. but unfortunately, luck is not supporting him...
There's really nothing more any of us can tell you.

They spent very little time together in Pakistan and it was an arranged marriage. Depending on how quickly he left her after arriving in Canada, there's some possibility IRCC may investigate him - but that is only if she reports him to IRCC. If she does report him to IRCC, he will have an opportunity to tell his side of the story. If she does not report him to IRCC, then nothing will happen and IRCC will not investigate.

Again, there's really nothing more any of us can say.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Getting upset doesn’t mean she has a mental illness.

Jahprovideesp

Star Member
Apr 15, 2018

thanks

No, she can't