+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my old test from withdrawn application be used for my new application?

tintin

Star Member
Oct 1, 2007
Hi,

So, I was 9years in this country just this past September, but I am still waiting for my citizenship.
I first submitted my application in 2012, but eventually withdrew it in July 2016, as it was obvious my husband's application will continue to affect mine. I had always wanted to withdraw it as I was living here fully, and my husband worked abroad...But, the half baked immigration consultant (who I thought was a real lawyer all these years until July!) kept telling me that applying as a family might help my husband. Folks, it pays to do your own homework yourself!

Anyways, to cut a long story short, the judge advised us to withdraw and I should reapply with the kids.
My days with the new rule as at the day of application was 1590 days. One would have thought that this would help speed up my application!
I have been following the August application thread and I noticed that those that submitted already have their test invite. Mine went into process 24th of August and still no letter. IRCC have already tried my patience and they are on that route again.

So, the main reason I am writing. I wrote the citizenship test last year June and I passed it. Can they use the same test result for this my new application? I noticed that if I log into eCas, it still shows information about the withdrawn application as well. Can this be the reason why I have not been invited for another test?
My son is now 15 and I expect him to be invited to write the test. Can they invite him alone, and use my old result?? I really don't have a problem rewriting the test!
I am hoping my case is not unique and someone would have gone through this as well!
Thanks.

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I doubt that you can use the old test result for your new application. You should take a new test.
Call IRCC and remind them about yourself.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
tintin said:
Hi,

So, I was 9years in this country just this past September, but I am still waiting for my citizenship.
I first submitted my application in 2012, but eventually withdrew it in July 2016, as it was obvious my husband's application will continue to affect mine. I had always wanted to withdraw it as I was living here fully, and my husband worked abroad...But, the half baked immigration consultant (who I thought was a real lawyer all these years until July!) kept telling me that applying as a family might help my husband. Folks, it pays to do your own homework yourself!

Anyways, to cut a long story short, the judge advised us to withdraw and I should reapply with the kids.
My days with the new rule as at the day of application was 1590 days. One would have thought that this would help speed up my application!
I have been following the August application thread and I noticed that those that submitted already have their test invite. Mine went into process 24th of August and still no letter. IRCC have already tried my patience and they are on that route again.

So, the main reason I am writing. I wrote the citizenship test last year June and I passed it. Can they use the same test result for this my new application? I noticed that if I log into eCas, it still shows information about the withdrawn application as well. Can this be the reason why I have not been invited for another test?
My son is now 15 and I expect him to be invited to write the test. Can they invite him alone, and use my old result?? I really don't have a problem rewriting the test!
I am hoping my case is not unique and someone would have gone through this as well!
Thanks.
No they are not using same results they will invite you for test as they did for me.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Ditto observation that you will need to test and interview for the new application. In short, the applicant must meet all the requirements pursuant to the new application, and of course the applicant has the burden of showing all the requirements are met.

IRCC is likely to review the prior application, but will be looking for inconsistencies or incongruities. The prior application is merely a source of information about the applicant from the applicant, information to be compared to and checked against the information in the new application. Otherwise, the applicant's case depends on meeting the requirements pursuant to the second application . . . including testing, language, and so on.

The main reason for posting is to note that second applications are often, perhaps typically subject to additional scrutiny, including RQ in many cases (not all, but many; we don't know what percentage). Some delay beyond the routine application processing time can be anticipated.

That said, there have been a few, sporadic reports, that some applicants who went to a CJ hearing and clearly had been residing in Canada since the date of application, in addition to whatever presence was reported for the relevant time period prior to applying, have indeed seen at a least a routine time line for their second application after withdrawing (per suggestion of CJ) their first. In effect, such reports indicate that when there are no credibility concerns about the applicant, and the information in both applications reflects the applicant has indeed met the requirements per the second application, the process does appear to go more easily, more smoothly, and without delay.

Accelerated processing time lines are rarely seen, but routine processing time lines in some local offices can be as short as six to eight months.

But, again, second applications are prone to some delays, so you could be pleasantly surprised if this goes quickly, or not-so-surprised but disappointed by a longer, non-routine processing timeline. In this regard, unfortunately just the fact that one's partner spends a lot of time abroad, particularly if working abroad, tends to at least invite IRCC to engage in a closer examination of the applicant, which can mean further inquiries and some delay. Reason for this should be obvious: couples tend to spend more time together than apart, so there is at least a possibility the applicant's whose partner is abroad a lot was likewise abroad a lot, so IRCC has an obligation to examine this closely and make a more informed decision. For the applicant who stayed in Canada, ultimately such an applicant should be OK and granted citizenship. But it can take longer to get there. Even if the couple are not applying together.

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tintin, could you please clarify why you had to withdraw your application and reapply.
I understood that you have applied as a family together and your husband applied under old rules with less physical presence days, right?

Did you apply personally with 1095 days or less? If yes, why did judge told you to withdraw and reapply?? You could separate your file from the husband's application if you have had 100% of physical presence days required.

Thank you.

tintin

Star Member
Oct 1, 2007
HighFive said:
tintin, could you please clarify why you had to withdraw your application and reapply.
I understood that you have applied as a family together and your husband applied under old rules with less physical presence days, right?

Did you apply personally with 1095 days or less? If yes, why did judge told you to withdraw and reapply?? You could separate your file from the husband's application if you have had 100% of physical presence days required.

Thank you.
I had over 1095 days by the time my application was submitted in July 2012. Unfortunately, I signed one page in April and signed another page in July when my application was fully completed. We used a representative and he should have noticed the two days i signed. CIC, used the first date in April, so, I was about 45 days short. I didnt know this until we saw the CJ this June 2016. Hence the advice to withdraw and submit a new application.

tintin

Star Member
Oct 1, 2007
dpenabill said:
Ditto observation that you will need to test and interview for the new application. In short, the applicant must meet all the requirements pursuant to the new application, and of course the applicant has the burden of showing all the requirements are met.

IRCC is likely to review the prior application, but will be looking for inconsistencies or incongruities. The prior application is merely a source of information about the applicant from the applicant, information to be compared to and checked against the information in the new application. Otherwise, the applicant's case depends on meeting the requirements pursuant to the second application . . . including testing, language, and so on.

The main reason for posting is to note that second applications are often, perhaps typically subject to additional scrutiny, including RQ in many cases (not all, but many; we don't know what percentage). Some delay beyond the routine application processing time can be anticipated.

That said, there have been a few, sporadic reports, that some applicants who went to a CJ hearing and clearly had been residing in Canada since the date of application, in addition to whatever presence was reported for the relevant time period prior to applying, have indeed seen at a least a routine time line for their second application after withdrawing (per suggestion of CJ) their first. In effect, such reports indicate that when there are no credibility concerns about the applicant, and the information in both applications reflects the applicant has indeed met the requirements per the second application, the process does appear to go more easily, more smoothly, and without delay.

Accelerated processing time lines are rarely seen, but routine processing time lines in some local offices can be as short as six to eight months.

But, again, second applications are prone to some delays, so you could be pleasantly surprised if this goes quickly, or not-so-surprised but disappointed by a longer, non-routine processing timeline. In this regard, unfortunately just the fact that one's partner spends a lot of time abroad, particularly if working abroad, tends to at least invite IRCC to engage in a closer examination of the applicant, which can mean further inquiries and some delay. Reason for this should be obvious: couples tend to spend more time together than apart, so there is at least a possibility the applicant's whose partner is abroad a lot was likewise abroad a lot, so IRCC has an obligation to examine this closely and make a more informed decision. For the applicant who stayed in Canada, ultimately such an applicant should be OK and granted citizenship. But it can take longer to get there. Even if the couple are not applying together.
Yes, both application matches. I have provable 1959 (I erroneously said 1590 in my original post) physical presence here in the past 6 years, so, they are just wasting precious tax payers dollars.
I know someone that comes to Canada just about two months in a year and he got his citizenship with his family in less than six months.
So, the real crooks are slipping through the net, while we that have done the right thing are frustrated. My husband does stay in Canada at least 5 months in a year and he pays tax!

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
tintin said:
Yes, both application matches. I have provable 1959 (I erroneously said 1590 in my original post) physical presence here in the past 6 years, so, they are just wasting precious tax payers dollars.
I know someone that comes to Canada just about two months in a year and he got his citizenship with his family in less than six months.
So, the real crooks are slipping through the net, while we that have done the right thing are frustrated. My husband does stay in Canada at least 5 months in a year and he pays tax!
Please report the crook. You can do it anonymously.

xalam

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
OMG they couldn't return your file because there is 2 dates in your application!!! This is crazy!!!
I dont think your son will have to pass the test because the as of the date of your application he was 15