+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work full-time after graduation on my off-campus wp?

illimopets

Jul 1, 2013
Hi everyone, I just graduated from Seneca.

My wife is awaiting decision on her PR application and we are at the stage where we have already done our medicals and we should (unless something went wrong with our medicals, which I hope doesn't happen) get our PRs very soon.

I graduated 2 weeks ago and I know I have 90 days to apply for PGWP, but I don't wanna spend money on something I might not need becuase I still have around 70 days to do it and I wanna wait to see if I get my PR which is gonna happen/not happen earlier than 70 days.

So my question is, can I work full-time on my off campus work permit? I am done with school but I have not applied for PGWP yet

illimopets

Jul 1, 2013
I am in Canada now, I cannot be sure it is gonna be approved, even though chances are good when you receive your medicals and already paid Right of Permanent Residence fee.

My question is different though: Am I allowed to work full time right now with my OCWP? I have not applied for PGWP yet so there is no implied status, I am not a student anymore since I graduated 2 weeks ago, what is the rule on cases like this? I know you CAN work if you have applied for PGWP, but I haven't and I am wondering if it would be legal for me to start working right now?

illimopets

Jul 1, 2013
dok said:
OCWP is issued to students and valid during the duration specified to allow them to work while studying. As a rule, if you finish your studies, your study permit expires within the next 90 days. If you intend to stay in Canada and work, then you have to apply for the PGWP in advance and within the 90 days after graduation. If your PGWP is approved, you'll be issued with actual work permit visa.

The new rules effective from June 1st 2014 allow students to work off campus without the need to apply for OCWP and eveything expires within 90 days from the date of graduation or immediately if you terminate your studies. It presupposes that your OCWP expires with your study rights.
wow, man, unbelievable... Do you think I don't know the rules after studying here for 2 years and living in Canada for almost 4 years now?

So many words, none of them actually answer my question, you are just giving me the info that I already know... Do me a favour, if you don't know the answer to a simple question "can i work full time after graduation, not having applied for PGWP yet?" then don't answer at all...

Politicians should learn from you...

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Illimopets, in forums like this we learn how to communicate diplomatically.

Can I work full-time after graduation on my off-campus wp? YES for your remaining 90 days.

Please check below for more information:
"Both study permits and student work permits are usually issued for the length of the study program, plus 90 days.

Moving to post-graduation work: Students who have earned their degree, diploma or certificate, and who are within the 90-day period allowed for moving to post-graduation work, are still eligible to work off campus, as long as they have a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit.

Implied status: If students are finished studying and have applied for a post-graduation work permit, and have a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit, they may keep working off campus until CIC makes a decision on their application
."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/guide-dir.asp
Sub: 3. Conditions of the work permit

I hope it helps this time.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

illimopets said:
Hi everyone, I just graduated from Seneca.

My wife is awaiting decision on her PR application and we are at the stage where we have already done our medicals and we should (unless something went wrong with our medicals, which I hope doesn't happen) get our PRs very soon.

I graduated 2 weeks ago and I know I have 90 days to apply for PGWP, but I don't wanna spend money on something I might not need becuase I still have around 70 days to do it and I wanna wait to see if I get my PR which is gonna happen/not happen earlier than 70 days.

So my question is, can I work full-time on my off campus work permit? I am done with school but I have not applied for PGWP yet

You are not allowed to work full time. You can work as such only with an implied status.