+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work as a self-employed with an Open Work Permit

memento23

Mar 5, 2015
Hello,

I have an open work permit and a full-time job. However I want to tutor students on the side privately. Is it legal to tutor them and tax my earnings with just a Open Work Permit?
Would it be legal to tutor them at my private home?

Eventually I want to open my own Academy but I know that I can not have my own business without the PR, which I will get at the end of this year.

Thank you for all your help.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
Have you taken a look at your work permit? It should state your work restrictions; though there shouldn't be any problem with you tutoring people.

Here is a related thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/self-employed-question-t228559.0.html

memento23

Mar 5, 2015
Thank you so much for the link!
In my work permit it says that I can not work in:
1. Child Care.
2. Primary or Secondary School Teaching
3. Health Services Field Services.

I would be teaching adults privately, so that would not be a problem.
After reading the other topics and the online website what I understand I can work as a sole proprietorship and then just tax my income just having my social insurance number which comes from my Open Work Permit. However, do I need to ¨start a businesses¨?. The problem is that I would be tutoring in different places so I would not have a physical address for the business.
If I have to, can I open it at the place where I am renting?

Thank you again.

Reactions: Evgeni

monu030

Star Member
Sep 14, 2014
Hello,

I have an open work permit and a full-time job. However I want to tutor students on the side privately. Is it legal to tutor them and tax my earnings with just a Open Work Permit?
Would it be legal to tutor them at my private home?

Eventually I want to open my own Academy but I know that I can not have my own business without the PR, which I will get at the end of this year.

Thank you for all your help.
Hey, I am in the similar situation and just trying to figure out if we are legally allowed to be self employed on open work permit or not. I would highly appreciate if you could reply. Thanks