+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use long term stay Airbnb (6 months) as proof of address to apply things I need in Toronto?

JerichoLi

Mar 21, 2023
I am from Asia and have a valid work permit and looking forward to come to Toronto to find a Job.

I am planning to stay in Airbnb for the first 6 months. Can I use bnb as proof of address to apply the things or service like apply job, open bank A/C, OHIP, Taxation etc..

The reason why I choose not to rent a place right now is that I am not employed yet so most of the landlord requires me to prepay a whole year rental fee in advance which is a bit out of my budget. And for some reason, I must need to find a job before Sep 2023. That's why I am thinking to stay in Airbnb for 6 months. Of course I will rent a place if I got a job offer later.

My concern is I don't know whether it could be a setback for me to apply the necessary thing without a formal tenancy. Or would it be possible to get a proof of address from the Airbnb owner?

A lots of thanks if you can answer my question or share your similar experience to me!!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am from Asia and have a valid work permit and looking forward to come to Toronto to find a Job.

I am planning to stay in Airbnb for the first 6 months. Can I use bnb as proof of address to apply the things or service like apply job, open bank A/C, OHIP, Taxation etc..

The reason why I choose not to rent a place right now is that I am not employed yet so most of the landlord requires me to prepay a whole year rental fee in advance which is a bit out of my budget. And for some reason, I must need to find a job before Sep 2023. That's why I am thinking to stay in Airbnb for 6 months. Of course I will rent a place if I got a job offer later.

My concern is I don't know whether it could be a setback for me to apply the necessary thing without a formal tenancy. Or would it be possible to get a proof of address from the Airbnb owner?

A lots of thanks if you can answer my question or share your similar experience to me!!!
It's still not legal for landlord to require you prepay a whole year rental fee in advance. Other than airbnb for 6 months, don't you consider short term rentals for duration of 3 to 6 months?

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Not legal, but sadly rampantly practiced in Toronto. Renters are not left with much choice but to play the game if they want a place.

JerichoLi

Mar 21, 2023
It's still not legal for landlord to require you prepay a whole year rental fee in advance. Other than airbnb for 6 months, don't you consider short term rentals for duration of 3 to 6 months?
Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, I am also considering short term rentals. I just wanna know whether living in Airbnb will be a setback for me to get a job or other things in case I have to stay in bnb.