+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I start working in PGWP immediately after thesis accepted?

erencie

Apr 10, 2013
I am a graduate student. Right now, I have a decent job offer which is supposed to start in mid-June.

The criteria determining whether I can graduate or not, is whether my thesis defense gets a positive response from the review committee.

The problem is that, my thesis defense might ends up to be scheduled in early June. According to the program director, as long as my thesis is accepted, I am considered as degree completed.

So my question is that:
If my thesis gets accepted in early June and the school can give me a piece of unofficial paper saying that I am degree completed, then can I immediately start apply Post-Graduation Work Permit? And can I immediately start to work in the company in mid-June? even when the school term is still not over yet?

Your answers are greatly appreciated!

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

erencie said:
I am a graduate student. Right now, I have a decent job offer which is supposed to start in mid-June.

The criteria determining whether I can graduate or not, is whether my thesis defense gets a positive response from the review committee.

The problem is that, my thesis defense might ends up to be scheduled in early June. According to the program director, as long as my thesis is accepted, I am considered as degree completed.

So my question is that:
If my thesis gets accepted in early June and the school can give me a piece of unofficial paper saying that I am degree completed, then can I immediately start apply Post-Graduation Work Permit? And can I immediately start to work in the company in mid-June? even when the school term is still not over yet?

Your answers are greatly appreciated!

You can start working 'anytime' provided;

1. You must have 'official' paper confirming fulfillment of graduation requirement.
2. You must have applied for PGWP based on that official paper.
3. You must have OCWP issued.

erencie

Apr 10, 2013
J5M said:
Hi,

You can start working 'anytime' provided;

1. You must have 'official' paper confirming fulfillment of graduation requirement.
2. You must have applied for PGWP based on that official paper.
3. You must have OCWP issued.
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply. May I know why I needs an OCWP for a full-time job? I guess that is off-campus work permit?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

erencie said:
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply. May I know why I needs an OCWP for a full-time job? I guess that is off-campus work permit?

As per Section 189 of the IRPR;

"If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation provides them the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions, pending a determination of their application for renewal, as long as they remain in Canada. This is referred as "implied status". The temporary foreign worker will have implied status until a decision is rendered by CIC."

The word 'continue' means you can't work for a new employer. If your PGWP application is under processing, you can 'continue' with your existing employer on your expired (OCWP & SIN) documents because you will have an implied status.

erencie

Apr 10, 2013
J5M said:
Hi,

As per Section 189 of the IRPR;

"If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation provides them the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions, pending a determination of their application for renewal, as long as they remain in Canada. This is referred as "implied status". The temporary foreign worker will have implied status until a decision is rendered by CIC."

The word 'continue' means you can't work for a new employer. If your PGWP application is under processing, you can 'continue' with your existing employer on your expired (OCWP & SIN) documents because you will have an implied status.
Hmmm....This is quite contradictory to what I heard previously. I saw from a link at CIC saying that:

"Paragraph R186(w) allows students who have completed their program of study to work while they are waiting for a decision on their work permit application as long as they were a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, and they did not exceed the allowable hours of work."

I do not have an "existing employer" because I am a fresh grad. And my study permit hasn't expired yet. I am expecting to graduate 4 months earlier before the study permit expires.

I thought as long as a student has already been degree completed and made an application to PGWP, then he/she can immediately start work for full-time for a new employer?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
erencie said:
Hmmm....This is quite contradictory to what I heard previously. I saw from a link at CIC saying that:

"Paragraph R186(w) allows students who have completed their program of study to work while they are waiting for a decision on their work permit application as long as they were a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, and they did not exceed the allowable hours of work."

I do not have an "existing employer" because I am a fresh grad. And my study permit hasn't expired yet. I am expecting to graduate 4 months earlier before the study permit expires.

I thought as long as a student has already been degree completed and made an application to PGWP, then he/she can immediately start work for full-time for a new employer?
yes

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

adlmer

Sep 23, 2015
I am in exactly same situation.

I have my SIN. Dont have OCWP (no longer issued and cant amend my study permit because I graduated already). Applied for PGWP. 120 days gone, still waiting.

Can I work? I would really appreciate response in light of recent updates (no OCWP and no confirmation to work off campus issued now) and especially following paragraph:

"Note: Paragraph R186(w) allows students who have completed their program of study to work while they are waiting for a decision on their work permit application as long as they were a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, and they did not exceed the allowable hours of work."

I have started working, what to do? I have contacted my universities' international office and the RCIC told me its all fine but CIC call center it is not cuz they are thinking about OCWP and its transition to PGWP (but now OCWP no longer issued, i already graduated and have a valid SIN till end of this year) - above paragraph applies quite well - based on which I sought employment.

ultra99

Jun 25, 2011
adlmer said:

I have my SIN. Dont have OCWP (no longer issued and cant amend my study permit because I graduated already). Applied for PGWP. 120 days gone, still waiting.

Can I work? I would really appreciate response in light of recent updates (no OCWP and no confirmation to work off campus issued now) and especially following paragraph:

"Note: Paragraph R186(w) allows students who have completed their program of study to work while they are waiting for a decision on their work permit application as long as they were a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, and they did not exceed the allowable hours of work."

I have started working, what to do? I have contacted my universities' international office and the RCIC told me its all fine but CIC call center it is not cuz they are thinking about OCWP and its transition to PGWP (but now OCWP no longer issued, i already graduated and have a valid SIN till end of this year) - above paragraph applies quite well - based on which I sought employment.
Wow, 120+ days and nothing?

So how were you able to work without a work permit, if I may ask?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
adlmer said:

yes 120 days is too much something must be wrong or may be because of the refugee crises but still 120 days is too much. normally 2-3(60-90 days) months max right