+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor my common law partner, given the fact that my PR card will expire soon?

naabrown19

Nov 6, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I am looking into sponsoring my partner in the coming months.

We will have been living together for over a year, and meet the sponsorship requirements.

My only problem is that my PR card is due to expire in July, and I am unable to renew it until the start of September, as I need to accrue more days to meet the residency obligations.

Could there be any problems by applying for the sponsorship now? Will my expired PR card cause any issues, or is that a separate situation to the sponsorship?

I fully intend on staying in Canada to renew the PR card and live here with my partner.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

We will have been living together for over a year, and meet the sponsorship requirements.

My only problem is that my PR card is due to expire in July, and I am unable to renew it until the start of September, as I need to accrue more days to meet the residency obligations.

Could there be any problems by applying for the sponsorship now? Will my expired PR card cause any issues, or is that a separate situation to the sponsorship?

I fully intend on staying in Canada to renew the PR card and live here with my partner.

You should wait until you have met the Residency Obligation before submitting the sponsorship application. While a PR in Canada does not need a valid PR Card, they do need to have met the R.O. to sponsor.

Home_13579

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
Hi Everyone,

You better wait. You dont want to apply too early incase if R.O. causes issues.

Reactions: naabrown19

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
How short of the RO are you? Put differently, as of today, how many days in country?

naabrown19

Nov 6, 2018
How short of the RO are you? Put differently, as of today, how many days in country?
I will need another 60 days (or so) after my PR card expires. My partner will have another 9 months on her student visa at that point, so we do have that flexibility before applying.

Reactions: Home_13579