+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor my biological parents if my adoption happened in the US

Steph202

Apr 19, 2021
Hello,
I am have been living in Canada from about a year as a permanently resident.

I was adopted as a teenager by my parent’s rich friends to be given a better life in the US since both my biological parents were illegals at that time but entered the US legally, just decided not to leave. I did my schooling in the US and recently moved to Canada. Am I able to sponsor my biological parents and potentially provide them with permanent residency in Canada since the adoption didn’t happen in Canada.
Please advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I was adopted as a teenager by my parent’s rich friends to be given a better life in the US since both my biological parents were illegals at that time but entered the US legally, just decided not to leave. I did my schooling in the US and recently moved to Canada. Am I able to sponsor my biological parents and potentially provide them with permanent residency in Canada since the adoption didn’t happen in Canada.
Please advise.
No they are not considered your legal parents.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Please advise.
I would recommend that you speak with a Canadian immigration lawyer. Regardless of where it happens, the adoption process generally severs the biological parent relationship for immigration purposes, meaning you would never be able to sponsor them to Canada. But again, you may want to check with a good Canadian immigration lawyer to be sure.

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
Hello,

Please advise.
try this
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-i-sponsor-my-biological-parents-if-my-adoption-happened-in-the-us.729238/#post-9346409
using a lawyer

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
An adoption severs their parental rights so seems pretty clear although yes check with a lawyer. You would have indicated your adopted parents names on your own immigration papers as your parents.