+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I renew my passport after submit my application/documents?

ll527

Jul 1, 2020
Hi guys, I have successfully received my ITA for EE and is current collecting and uploading all necessary documents to submit my application. One thing that could be a bit troublesome is my passport's expiry date. My current passport expires on Aug 2021, so a little more than 6 months from now on. This is a quite awkward time because I can only submit a passport renewal when my current one expires within 6 months, but it will definitely expire before I receive a PPR (given the ~6 months processing time). My questions is -- if I do not want to waste anytime waiting, can I submit my application with my old passport now, and then have my passport renewed at around May, June 2021, which will be in between the AoR and PPR times, and then notify the CIC one I receive the new passport? Is this possible? If it is, will it cost me extra?

Not sure if anyone have a similar problem. I've read some articles in the forum with mixed answers and given the current COVID situation I'm not sure if anything changed. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ab247

Jun 6, 2020
Hi guys, I have successfully received my ITA for EE and is current collecting and uploading all necessary documents to submit my application. One thing that could be a bit troublesome is my passport's expiry date. My current passport expires on Aug 2021, so a little more than 6 months from now on. This is a quite awkward time because I can only submit a passport renewal when my current one expires within 6 months, but it will definitely expire before I receive a PPR (given the ~6 months processing time). My questions is -- if I do not want to waste anytime waiting, can I submit my application with my old passport now, and then have my passport renewed at around May, June 2021, which will be in between the AoR and PPR times, and then notify the CIC one I receive the new passport? Is this possible? If it is, will it cost me extra?

Not sure if anyone have a similar problem. I've read some articles in the forum with mixed answers and given the current COVID situation I'm not sure if anything changed. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hi,
You can go ahead and submit your application with your current passport. When you renew it, you can submit the new passport via web form and your information will be updated accordingly.
I was in exact same shoes: the passport I used for my application was not the one I submitted for my PR visa. I renewed my passport and submitted the new one via webform and IRCC acknowledged receipt and updated my information.

Reactions: ll527

ll527

Jul 1, 2020
Hi,
You can go ahead and submit your application with your current passport. When you renew it, you can submit the new passport via web form and your information will be updated accordingly.
I was in exact same shoes: the passport I used for my application was not the one I submitted for my PR visa. I renewed my passport and submitted the new one via webform and IRCC acknowledged receipt and updated my information.
Thank you so much!Really appreciate it!