+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can I make invoices without being registered as self employer/freelance?

llty

Apr 6, 2019
Hi , I am photographer , and aside my full time job I would like to do some extra works
my question is the following, can I make invoices without being declared freelancer if I don't overpass some amount of money a year ?

or is better to get mini-contracts for each side job if I don't want to register as freelance ?

My question here is can I make invoices without being registered as self employer/freelance,if my earnings are less than some amount by the end of the year ?

Thank you !

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Not sure what you mean by "register as freelance". If you are being paid as a contractor, my advice would be to register a sole proprietorship in your province of residence. This will make things much easier for you to keep on top of things and for declaring your taxes. In Ontario this should cost $50 or so.

You can open a bank account for your sole proprietorship at any local bank and have all cheques and payments from clients deposited to that account. As a sole proprietor you will also be able to deduct expenses directly related to the provision of your services.

Reactions: torontosm

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
What if you do not register as sole proprietorship because your income is low (say 20k)?
That is to say, working using your own name as legal name on invoices etc.?
Can you (and should you) open a business bank account for that purpose (instead of relying on personal bank account for invoicing)?