+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I have a part-time study while working full-time with PGWP

lxsunrain

Apr 7, 2020
Hi everyone, I am an international student working with a PGWP. I am working on a full-time job in Ontario and scheduling to get PR through CEC draw. As my score is not competitive, I am considering studying for a graduation certificate or diploma for getting additional points. Is it possible to work on my full-time job and study as a part-time student in a college? And do I need to apply for a study permit under this condition?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, I am an international student working with a PGWP. I am working on a full-time job in Ontario and scheduling to get PR through CEC draw. As my score is not competitive, I am considering studying for a graduation certificate or diploma for getting additional points. Is it possible to work on my full-time job and study as a part-time student in a college? And do I need to apply for a study permit under this condition?
You will need a study permit to do so.

Reactions: Naturgrl

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
You will need a study permit to do so.
This is quite interesting. I didn't know about this.

If I had to make a guess, I would have thought it would be similar to the US, where you can enrol in part time studies while on work visa (e.g. H1B)

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Do you have this condition in your PGWP?:

2. UNLESS AUTHORIZED, PROHIBITED FROM ATTENDING ANY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION, OR TAKING ANY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION OR VOCATIONAL TRAINING COURSE.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
This is quite interesting. I didn't know about this.

If I had to make a guess, I would have thought it would be similar to the US, where you can enrol in part time studies while on work visa (e.g. H1B)
You may be able to take studies that are less than six month in length but not enough to gain extra points for a certificate or diploma. Depends what the conditions on PGWP state.

Reactions: smash1984

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately post grad certificate or diplomas won’t be possible without a study permit.