+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I go to US for a conference

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will be eligible to apply for citizenship in a year. So I try to minimize my international travels.

I got a research paper accepted at a prestigious conference. The conference is in US next April. I'll have the chance to present my work in front of hundreds of researchers and network with both academia and industry people.

If I go with a 10-year B1/B2 US visa (I haven't applied yet), will this likely to trigger RQ? the conference is very important though, it's important for my career and can possibly lead to job opportunities. Thanks in advance.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I would go. Just keep your boarding passes if you are flying or taking the train. If you are driving just make sure CBP would stamp your passport. They will stamp it though since you have a B1/B2 visa and on the way back make sure you have a CBSA stamp. You should be fine.
As for RQ, some people get it without leaving Canada and some do not get by traveling a lot. Don't stop your life for that reason.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
If you go once, then I can't imagine it being a problem. If you have a lot of frequent travel to the US, then that may raise suspicion.

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your prompt reply Dejaavu.

keesio said:
If you go once, then I can't imagine it being a problem. If you have a lot of frequent travel to the US, then that may raise suspicion.
thank you. I have 2 travels to US that I need to file in my application. I also have 5 others in the past, but they are not within the time frame of the past 4 years when I apply in 2014. all these travels happened before I became a PR. Because at that time I didn't know international travels can lead to problems.

Simkr

Jul 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since my application is in process, i avoided 1 conference this year and 2 conference early next year. Though i dont think it's gonna be problem if you travel to US for conference and networking purposes.

yyzhuang said:
I will be eligible to apply for citizenship in a year. So I try to minimize my international travels.

I got a research paper accepted at a prestigious conference. The conference is in US next April. I'll have the chance to present my work in front of hundreds of researchers and network with both academia and industry people.

If I go with a 10-year B1/B2 US visa (I haven't applied yet), will this likely to trigger RQ? the conference is very important though, it's important for my career and can possibly lead to job opportunities. Thanks in advance.

pkakula

Jan 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2009
Doc's Request.
sep 2009
AOR Received.
nov 2nd 2009
File Transfer...
sep 9th 2009
Med's Request
feb 01 2010
Med's Done....
feb 8th 2010
Passport Req..
feb 1st 2010
VISA ISSUED...
STATUS CHANGED TO DECISION MADE ON JULY 1ST
LANDED..........
july 21st 2010.
Simkr said:
Since my application is in process, i avoided 1 conference this year and 2 conference early next year. Though i dont think it's gonna be problem if you travel to US for conference and networking purposes.
I have travelled to usa seven times and out of those 2 times for conferences. I don't think these will trigger RQ 's since these are 2-3 days trips.

I am just guessing but i am not sure and will not be surprised if they are crazy asking for RQ for these as well.....

Simkr

Jul 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RQs are giving for no reason in most of cases. that was my personal take and i am not prepared for RQ (collecting lot of documents). Regarding conferences, since these are held annual or biennial basis, therefore i i have many more chances to attend them in near future.

pkakula said:
I have travelled to usa seven times and out of those 2 times for conferences. I don't think these will trigger RQ 's since these are 2-3 days trips.

I am just guessing but i am not sure and will not be surprised if they are crazy asking for RQ for these as well.....

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:

My sister is, a PHD candidate, travels to the US for conferences. Don't miss your chances because of an RQ. Live your life.