+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i find a new job with a BOWP?

roland1990

Star Member
Sep 2, 2019
The line you that states "at least one year after obtaining permanent residency" meets the requirement for arranged employment.

Definition of arranged employment

• 82 (1) In this section, arranged employment means an offer of employment that is made by a single employer other than an embassy, high commission or consulate in Canada or an employer who is referred to in any of subparagraphs 200(3)(h)(i) to (iii), that is for continuous full-time work in Canada having a duration of at least one year after the date on which a permanent resident visa is issued, and that is in an occupation that is listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix.

1. BOPW is not dependent on your employer and you can continue to work anywhere with any employer. However, if you claimed points for arranged employment, that above has to be met at all times.

2. see 1
Okay, the offer letter has both "at least one year after obtaining permanent residency" and "NOC A" mentioned in it and I believe rest of the conditions of 82 (1) are satisfied. However, if they let me go while I'm on BOWP, then logically, the offer letter may not make much sense anymore. Hence I may loose 50 points for the offer of employment correct ?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Okay, the offer letter has both "at least one year after obtaining permanent residency" and "NOC A" mentioned in it and I believe rest of the conditions of 82 (1) are satisfied. However, if they let me go while I'm on BOWP, then logically, the offer letter may not make much sense anymore. Hence I may loose 50 points for the offer of employment correct ?
That will depend on what terms are you termination. If the offer letter is withdrawn then you will lose the points.

isahuja

Apr 26, 2019
Hi,

I’m currently on the LMIA based work permit. I got ITA last week, if I apply for OBWP and obtain the open work permit. I have completed 1 year of experience with the employer as well. Will my score goes down?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I’m currently on the LMIA based work permit. I got ITA last week, if I apply for OBWP and obtain the open work permit. I have completed 1 year of experience with the employer as well. Will my score goes down?
Your score won't go down because you've applied for a BOWP. However if you've claimed points for having a job offer, then you don't want to be switching employers and jobs until you have PR.

Reactions: raghavgrover

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Your score won't go down because you've applied for a BOWP. However if you've claimed points for having a job offer, then you don't want to be switching employers and jobs until you have PR.
One question, I am on ICT work permit, working with the same company for last 12 years and last 2.5 years in Canada. The employer gave me an offer letter that has all the relevant details required by IRCC. My current work permit is about to expire on 23rd Feb 2023, but my offer letter which says I have an offer of permanent employment(and for at least one year once PR is obtained) is dated 13th Sep 2022 which goes way beyond post expiry of my current work permit. Do you think the end date on the current permit matters post AOR in this case if you're claiming 50 points for the job offer ( I guess this should not matter and it wont make sense if one has to keep WP for more than 1 year left to claim points ) ?
Post AOR -
Is it better to extend my current work ICT closed work permit( my employer is willing to file) ? During this process my employer will mostly likely also submit an offer of employment for another 2 years for my extension of my LMIA exempt ICT work permit in IRCC employer portal , but this would be for the work permit? Do you think this would have any advantage since the offer of employment for work permit for another 2 years would also be on IRCC employer portal that IRCC could very well see while assessing the genuineness of the offer of the employment letter ?
OR
What I said doesnt matter and all they need is the letter I provided and I should apply for BOWP?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One question, I am on ICT work permit, working with the same company for last 12 years and last 2.5 years in Canada. The employer gave me an offer letter that has all the relevant details required by IRCC. My current work permit is about to expire on 23rd Feb 2023, but my offer letter which says I have an offer of permanent employment(and for at least one year once PR is obtained) is dated 13th Sep 2022 which goes way beyond post expiry of my current work permit. Do you think the end date on the current permit matters post AOR in this case if you're claiming 50 points for the job offer ( I guess this should not matter and it wont make sense if one has to keep WP for more than 1 year left to claim points ) ?
Post AOR -
Is it better to extend my current work ICT closed work permit( my employer is willing to file) ? During this process my employer will mostly likely also submit an offer of employment for another 2 years for my extension of my LMIA exempt ICT work permit in IRCC employer portal , but this would be for the work permit? Do you think this would have any advantage since the offer of employment for work permit for another 2 years would also be on IRCC employer portal that IRCC could very well see while assessing the genuineness of the offer of the employment letter ?
OR
What I said doesnt matter and all they need is the letter I provided and I should apply for BOWP?
I don't think it matters. I think you are good.

asiqur

Dec 8, 2021
Post AOR -
OR
Renew your work permit. Keep in mind that this offer and WP wouldn’t matter for your PR application. Your offer for which you claim points should meet the IRCC job offer requirements and should explicitly state that the offer will be valid for at least one year after you have been granted a PR status. This offer and the LMIA (or exempt) job offer number from the Employer Portal should not have been used for any other application before (for WP for example). Hope this helps!

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Renew your work permit. Keep in mind that this offer and WP wouldn’t matter for your PR application. Your offer for which you claim points should meet the IRCC job offer requirements and should explicitly state that the offer will be valid for at least one year after you have been granted a PR status. This offer and the LMIA (or exempt) job offer number from the Employer Portal should not have been used for any other application before (for WP for example). Hope this helps!
Yes, I have a new offer letter ( or support letter for PR ) from my employer signed by my supervisor with all details including statement about permanent full-time offer( and at least one year post PR approval) which is what was submitted already in my e Apr,
but this work permit renewal application which is for 2023 to 2025 will have a new OOE number in IRCC portal which will be used for my upcoming renewal .
Should I provide this information as well to IRCC via webform stating my employer has filed for my work permit extension as well and here's the application number and OOE number? Will this information be of any help to IRCC or it doesnt matter?