+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i do this to preserver PR? PMM please

tinag

Sep 12, 2006
I recently became PR of beautiful Canada. (Dec 2006). I reside in USA.

I spoke with my current company (American company based in Atlanta with no branches in Canada) and worked out a deal to stay in same job.

Basically I took up 100 % travel project. My family and I will live in Canada but I will be commuting every week from Canada to USA (Mon-Fri).
Which means I take a flight on Mon morning from Canada to USA. And on friday afternoon I come back to Canada from USA.Weekend I will chill in my home in Canada

Will this time spent in USA (Mon-Fri) be considered as a resident of Canada?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
hi

tinag said:
I recently became PR of beautiful Canada. (Dec 2006). I reside in USA.

I spoke with my current company (American company based in Atlanta with no branches in Canada) and worked out a deal to stay in same job.

Basically I took up 100 % travel project. My family and I will live in Canada but I will be commuting every week from Canada to USA (Mon-Fri).
Which means I take a flight on Mon morning from Canada to USA. And on friday afternoon I come back to Canada from USA.Weekend I will chill in my home in Canada

Will this time spent in USA (Mon-Fri) be considered as a resident of Canada?
No it wouldn't but if you left Mondays and returned Fridays you would be credited with 3 days resident per week in Canada, which be equal to 780 days residence over a 5 year period, so you would just make the 730 days required to maintain your PR status. Note that you would have only 50 days leeway over that 5 years.

PMM

tinag

Sep 12, 2006
Thanks

But I guess when I take up a flight at 6 AM MONDAY (CANADA-USA) and come back to Canada on Friday 5 PM. Both MONDAY and FRIDAY will be considering as that I resided in CANADA. Please clarify