+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I come to canada on my W-1 visa and not get the work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have already asked the employer many time about when the job would start, but they say when a client approves me to work from Canada then they can start the job. Some of the other employees did went to Canada on their job offers (4 of them) and they are working on their job offers. In my case the client which I am working for, I don't think he would budget me on the Canada job offer that is why the company is delaying me. Regarding misrepresentation, as I am planning to enter Canada on my PR visa and CoPR docs along with my family, if immigration office ask me about the job offer I will tell them the truth about my situation and that my company is still not allowing me to start the job for their reasons, and I have to be in Canada to start my immigration process, I will search for another job because my employer is not starting the job for more than 1.5 years now and as I am now a permanent resident I can work for another company as well. What do you think, would that be a right choice for me?

Also, what if my employer closes my job offer? I assume that would not affect and I can still go for immigration and look for another job?

Thanks.
The big issue is that the basis of your PR applications is misrepresentation there was never an actual job. Whoever your employer is(sounds like a consulting firm) they seem to be applying for a very large number of WP permits which are probably intracompany transfers if I had to guess. They should have never applied for the WP or agreed to be listed as a job offer in Canada if the client had not agreed to pay for your services based on being in Canada and Canadian billing rate. Is the client in Canada? You are taking a big risk. When you apply for citizenship if IRCC notices that there was never a job in Canada and the basis of your PR application was misrepresentation then your family can lose PR and you wouldn’t be able to use any of the time in Canada to apply for any other immigration program. The fact that this employer seems to be working as an immigration broker as well also may raise a flag at a certain point and IRCC may look back to see if people are actually working for the employer in Canada. They seem to be transferring people to Canadian offices and stating there are jobs that require being in Canada when there aren’t actual jobs that require you to be in Canada and in your case there was never a confirmed job to begin with. In your case it seems as though the client was never willing to pay the billing rate for Canada so there was never an actual job in Canada or a job that required you to be in Canada.