+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply with Police certification in progress letter

@ieh

Mar 22, 2018
Hi,
I have been here in Canada for 3 years and I am eligible to apply for citizenship. Obviousely I was back home more than 183 days in last 4 years. So I applied for getting a new police certification from back home, however we had provided one police clearance once we wanted to land. Anyway, they sent us a letter in progress and said it will take several months (almost 6 months) to get the actual police certification. Can I open my application with that letter and the copy of the old one?
I will be able to provide the actual once I get it. Please help. Thanks

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi,
I have been here in Canada for 3 years and I am eligible to apply for citizenship. Obviousely I was back home more than 183 days in last 4 years. So I applied for getting a new police certification from back home, however we had provided one police clearance once we wanted to land. Anyway, they sent us a letter in progress and said it will take several months (almost 6 months) to get the actual police certification. Can I open my application with that letter and the copy of the old one?
I will be able to provide the actual once I get it. Please help. Thanks
The fact that you provided a PCC earlier during your PR application is irrelevant.

Yes, you can apply with that letter and hope that it gets accepted. There are reports in this forum where it worked and there are reports in this forum where it didn't work. However note that these days many applications normally complete in 6-8 months, so they will probably need your PCC at the 3-4 month mark when they actually assess your application. Otherwise the application will just sit and wait and do nothing until you provide the PCC.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Yeah, what @spyfy said: you can try submitting your application with a letter explaining you've made the request (do include a copy of the confirmation letter that says the processing time will be 6 months).

The officer reviewing your application may consider that explanation to be sufficient to let your application go to processing, or they may return your application as incomplete.

It's a bit of a gamble, but not one where having your application returned is a problem, really. It means you'd need to wait and may need to redo some of the parts of your application (the letter they send when they return your application would indicate what they want you to do), but there's no other repercussions.

The PCC you submit with your application must be dated from near the end or after your last visit to the country. The PCC you provided for your PR application almost certainly was issued earlier than that, so is no longer valid.

Reactions: @ieh

@ieh

Mar 22, 2018
The fact that you provided a PCC earlier during your PR application is irrelevant.

Yes, you can apply with that letter and hope that it gets accepted. There are reports in this forum where it worked and there are reports in this forum where it didn't work. However note that these days many applications normally complete in 6-8 months, so they will probably need your PCC at the 3-4 month mark when they actually assess your application. Otherwise the application will just sit and wait and do nothing until you provide the PCC.
Thanks so much! It seems like we have to gamble anyway.
If they return my application because of PCC, does it mean that I have to pay the application fee again?

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Thanks so much! It seems like we have to gamble anyway.
If they return my application because of PCC, does it mean that I have to pay the application fee again?
No. If they return your application they'll ask you to resubmit that application, but adding the missing documents. So the same proof of payment will still be used.