+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for study permit in Canada?

Mary117

Jun 8, 2017
Hello,

My kid is around 7 years old and now she is in Canada with me. Both of us are visitors. She got the acceptance letter from school recently, and ready to apply for study permit.

Can she apply for study permit inside Canada or have to submit the application outside Canada?
My kid is going to live with me. Do we still need to submit the form 'Custodianship Declaration'?
I have the custody of my kid. And do we still need the consent letter from my ex-husband?

Thank you very much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Study permit application must be sent to your home country's visa office outside of Canada. It cannot be processed within Canada. Make sure you can show a bank balance of at least $25K to cover tuition and living expenses (tuition will be around $15K for public school - more for private). You'll still need the custodianship declaration since you are only in Canada as a visitor and aren't entitled to stay. Once you have to leave Canada - who will your child be living with? This is the person who should sign the custodianship declaration.

Mary117

Jun 8, 2017
Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it .

Is it OK if I show a bank balance from my Canadian bank account?

And about the tuition fee, I am given a pre-authorized debit(PAD) agreement form with void cheque from school. Is it ok in this way or I have to pay the whole year tuition fee at one time then to apply for the study permit?

And before my kid get study permit, can she go to school right now?

Do she need to do the medical examination? This is not shown on the document checklist from CIC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can show a bank balance from your Canadian bank account.

No - you don't have to pay the tuition fee before you apply for the study permit. You just have to show you have the money.

No - she cannot go to school now. She cannot legally attend school until she has an approved study permit. Attending school now will be a violation of her visitor visa status.

For the medical exam - it depends. Medical exam info: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp

Utakogirl2013

Nov 14, 2013
Applying for a study permit within Canada
If you are:

• a minor child in primary or secondary school
  • an exchange or visiting student
  • a student who has completed a short-term course or study program, which is a condition for being accepted at a designated learning institution
  • someone who holds a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for at least six months, or their family member
  • a spouse or common-law partner (and their family members) being sponsored to immigrate, who are:
    • in Canada and
    • have applied for permanent residence, if eligible
  • a person with a study permit from a visa office abroad, and the permit was issued before you got to Canada, who wants to keep studying
  • the family member of:
    • athletes on a Canadian-based team
    • media representatives
    • members of the clergy or
    • military personnel assigned to Canada
  • a family member or private staff member of a foreign representative who is properly accredited (90 days before or after you are no longer authorized to study without a study permit), or
  • a foreign national or their family member with a valid study or work permit, who wants to stay in Canada longer to study.
You need to apply to extend your stay in Canada as a student.

Remember that you can’t stay in Canada after your passport expires. If you renewed your passport since you entered Canada, you have to submit photocopies of both your new passport and the stamp placed in your old passport when you apply.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how.asp

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Of note the OP ignored post #2 the fact that as a visitor their time in the country is limited so applying for a study permit is all fine but who will look after the minor once visitor status has expired ? A parent has no legal rights to stay in the country just because a minor has a study permit and even using that as a reason to extend stay as a visitor is not really a solid reason.

rottenapple

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
GP
Category........
NOC Code......
NOC 6242
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2016
Doc's Request.
RPRF/ Oct. 05,2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
Aug. 09,'16
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
NONE
Med's Request
DONE
Med's Done....
16-08-2016/PASSED
Interview........
NOT NEEDED AT THIS TIME
Passport Req..
JANUARY 04,2017
VISA ISSUED...
JAN.20,2017/ Immigrant visa n COPR issued
LANDED..........
Feb.01,2017
Applying for a study permit within Canada
If you are:

• a minor child in primary or secondary school
  • an exchange or visiting student
  • a student who has completed a short-term course or study program, which is a condition for being accepted at a designated learning institution
  • someone who holds a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for at least six months, or their family member
  • a spouse or common-law partner (and their family members) being sponsored to immigrate, who are:
    • in Canada and
    • have applied for permanent residence, if eligible
  • a person with a study permit from a visa office abroad, and the permit was issued before you got to Canada, who wants to keep studying
  • the family member of:
    • athletes on a Canadian-based team
    • media representatives
    • members of the clergy or
    • military personnel assigned to Canada
  • a family member or private staff member of a foreign representative who is properly accredited (90 days before or after you are no longer authorized to study without a study permit), or
  • a foreign national or their family member with a valid study or work permit, who wants to stay in Canada longer to study.
You need to apply to extend your stay in Canada as a student.

Remember that you can’t stay in Canada after your passport expires. If you renewed your passport since you entered Canada, you have to submit photocopies of both your new passport and the stamp placed in your old passport when you apply.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how.asp
Hi do you have any idea how to we can apply our kids for Student Visa? They are all minor and they will apply outside Canada. Thanks.