+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for OHIP on PGWP implied status?

Pufeck

Aug 19, 2021
Hello all,

I recently graduated from an Ontario university and my PGWP application is in progress. I have been living in Ontario for over 4 years and was on UHIP.
I have received an offer from a company with permanent (indefinite) position and my job officially starts on Sept. 13.
Since I am on implied status after submitting my PGWP application, I don't need a work permit.
However, the online PGWP application progresses very slowly (seems related to the Afganistan crisis), so I won't be able to get my PGWP result until October or even November.

I am wondering if I am eligible to apply for OHIP after September 13, with my job offer, employment letter, and study permit?

Thanks in advance!

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Not sure how it was back in 2021 when the OP posted, but as of right now I know for sure that you can't get OHIP if you don't have your original work permit.

I went to get my OHIP when I had a full-time job but they told me I would qualify because I was still on implied status, I had to wait for my PGWP to be approved AND get the work permit by mail (the approval letter they send before mailing the WP won't be accepted either).

I went a second time when I received my physical PGWP, but then they said I didn't apply because even though my employment letter said I was working full-time, it didn't say specifically that it was a permanent job. So I had to get back to HR and ask them to put that specific detail in a new employment letter. Finally, I got my OHIP approved for the exact duration of my PGWP.

rafim1

Nov 10, 2023
Not sure how it was back in 2021 when the OP posted, but as of right now I know for sure that you can't get OHIP if you don't have your original work permit.

I went to get my OHIP when I had a full-time job but they told me I would qualify because I was still on implied status, I had to wait for my PGWP to be approved AND get the work permit by mail (the approval letter they send before mailing the WP won't be accepted either).

I went a second time when I received my physical PGWP, but then they said I didn't apply because even though my employment letter said I was working full-time, it didn't say specifically that it was a permanent job. So I had to get back to HR and ask them to put that specific detail in a new employment letter. Finally, I got my OHIP approved for the exact duration of my PGWP.
Is your employer an Ontario employer, i.e., do they have offices in Ontario?