+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i apply for New Brunswick Medicare if I'm on Open Work Permit but currently not employed?

Ravirav

Dec 12, 2016
Hi there!

I have been living in New Brunswick since Nov 2021. I was on closed work permit from Nov 2021 but I completed my 1 year of work experience and applied for PR under CEC and quit my job. I had not applied for Medicare before.

Meanwhile I had applied to PGWP extension (Open Work Permit) under the temporary public policy announced in Aug 2022 and I recently received it.

I was wondering if I can apply for New Brunswick Medicare while on Open Work Permit but currently not employed?

Request anyone to please help @scylla @RSub @legalfalcon

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Reactions: RSub

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there!

I have been living in New Brunswick since Nov 2021. I was on closed work permit from Nov 2021 but I completed my 1 year of work experience and applied for PR under CEC and quit my job. I had not applied for Medicare before.

Meanwhile I had applied to PGWP extension (Open Work Permit) under the temporary public policy announced in Aug 2022 and I recently received it.

I was wondering if I can apply for New Brunswick Medicare while on Open Work Permit but currently not employed?

When does your WP expire?

Temporary workers/extended work permits
If an employer is hiring temporary foreign workers with lower levels of formal training, they are responsible for providing health insurance at no cost until the worker is eligible for provincial health insurance. Temporary foreign workers with a work permit of 12 months or more are eligible to apply for New Brunswick health care coverage (after a three-month mandatory waiting period).
Wait period
If you have moved to New Brunswick, you may be eligible for New Brunswick Medicare coverage on the first day of the third month following the month you have established permanent residence in New Brunswick. For example, if you moved to New Brunswick on July 20, the month of July will count as the first month, with August and September as the following two. In this case, coverage would begin October 1. The three month waiting period is legislated under New Brunswick’s Medical Services Payment Act.

Ravirav

Dec 12, 2016
When does your WP expire?

Temporary workers/extended work permits
If an employer is hiring temporary foreign workers with lower levels of formal training, they are responsible for providing health insurance at no cost until the worker is eligible for provincial health insurance. Temporary foreign workers with a work permit of 12 months or more are eligible to apply for New Brunswick health care coverage (after a three-month mandatory waiting period).
Wait period
If you have moved to New Brunswick, you may be eligible for New Brunswick Medicare coverage on the first day of the third month following the month you have established permanent residence in New Brunswick. For example, if you moved to New Brunswick on July 20, the month of July will count as the first month, with August and September as the following two. In this case, coverage would begin October 1. The three month waiting period is legislated under New Brunswick’s Medical Services Payment Act.

Thanks a lot for your response!!!

My work permit expires in Aug 2024.

I had checked the service new brunswick website and had come across the information you shared. But I wasn't able to get to know whether a valid job offer is required/ whether I should be currently working while I'm on my work permit to be eligible to apply for Medicare. Do you by chance know anything about that?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there!

I don't know. I'm only familiar with Ontario rules. In Ontario, you need to be working.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot for your response!!!

My work permit expires in Aug 2024.

I had checked the service new brunswick website and had come across the information you shared. But I wasn't able to get to know whether a valid job offer is required/ whether I should be currently working while I'm on my work permit to be eligible to apply for Medicare. Do you by chance know anything about that?
Not sure whether you need a job either