+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for CEC while waiting for WP extension ?

KKMONKEY

May 13, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep-10-2014
AOR Received.
Jan-22-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
March-15-2016
LANDED..........
April-10-2016
My current PGWP is expiring on June 21st, and I will get 52 weeks of work experience in the end of July. Going to talk to boss about LMO and post ads. Hopefully, everything is ready before I apply for WP extension.

Question: Can I apply for CEC while waiting for LMO AND WP ?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
First - if you are currently on a PGWP, your employer does NOT have to post ads before applying for an LMO. Show this to your boss (see the section on Advertisement) In the application where it asks about recruitment efforts, your employer has to indicate that you (the employee) is currently on a PGWP and include a photocopy -
http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/higher_skilled/students/index.shtml

Second - if your boss applies for the LMO, and you apply for a new work permit before the old one expires, you'll be on "implied status." The work experience technically should count, but personally I would advise waiting to submit your CEC application until you get the new WP...

KKMONKEY

May 13, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep-10-2014
AOR Received.
Jan-22-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
March-15-2016
LANDED..........
April-10-2016
jes_ON said:
First - if you are currently on a PGWP, your employer does NOT have to post ads before applying for an LMO. Show this to your boss (see the section on Advertisement) In the application where it asks about recruitment efforts, your employer has to indicate that you (the employee) is currently on a PGWP and include a photocopy -

Second - if your boss applies for the LMO, and you apply for a new work permit before the old one expires, you'll be on "implied status." The work experience technically should count, but personally I would advise waiting to submit your CEC application until you get the new WP...
Thanks for the reply. I have read about the the recruitment effort. There's a 90 days condition:"... within 90 days of the expiration of the post-graduate work permit."
So, in my case, I don't have that 90 days. They would still to post ads right?

LMO has a long processing time. That's why I'm considering applying before LMO decision ( before I get the new WP)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
KKMONKEY said:
Thanks for the reply. I have read about the the recruitment effort. There's a 90 days condition:"... within 90 days of the expiration of the post-graduate work permit."
So, in my case, I don't have that 90 days. They would still to post ads right?
???? Read it again, it means your employer has until 90 days AFTER your PGWP expires to apply for the LMO, without having to demonstrate recruitment efforts.

Since your PGWP doesn't expire for a month, you are eligible for this exemption.

Note that if you want to continue working on implied status, the LMO application AND work permit application need to be submitted BEFORE your work permit expires.

You have to wait until the end of July/August anyway before you are eligible to apply, so if you need the experience on implied status to be able to qualify, I still recommend you wait until you get the new work permit.