+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can common law relationships exist before 18?

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
You absolutely have to use Canada's definition. Some countries don't even have common-law status and Canada's definition is what you use when you apply to immigrate to Canada.

If your jurisdiction said common-law only exists after, say, 32 years of living together whilst singing a specific song and doing a specific dance on the anniversary of cohabitation, and you forgot the words on the 27th anniversary, Canada's definition would still apply.

They won't get confused thinking it's a marriage because the part you're talking about literally asks about common-law relationships, right?

For the final question - you put in what you know, and you attach a letter of explanation saying you don't remember the precise date of birth.
Or I suppose I should ask - can we use the "****" format for unknown parts of the date of birth, or should we just leave it blank or take a stab at the date and notate that we are not sure?

Let me know. Thanks!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Or I suppose I should ask - can we use the "****" format for unknown parts of the date of birth, or should we just leave it blank or take a stab at the date and notate that we are not sure?

Let me know. Thanks!
Depends on the form. Some require an actual date to validate.