+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN AN AMERICAN VISIT HIS SPOUSE IN CANADA WHILE WAITING FOR APPROVAL

tina204

Nov 20, 2011
Hello,
I am a Canadian citizen recently moved back to Canada with my children. We can't afford for my husband to quit his job in the USA and move to Canada yet.
He is an American citizen by birth.

1- The first time he came to visit us after we moved back, we were surprised when Canadian customs limited his visit to a 3 week visa, saying that "he had not established a status in Canada".
Will he be allowed to visit us again regularly in Canada without establishing a status; until we are financially able for him to quit his job in the US.

2- Will he be allowed to visit us regularly in Canada if we apply for sponsorship now - outland -with me and children staying in Canada?

Thank you.
T.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
There are lot of people visiting from US to spend few days with their family in Canada. Sponsorship application will not preclude his intention to visit Canada whereas his entry and the duration of visit vests on the discretion of the officer at the boarder. His employment in US could be a reasonable proof of his return.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Pay the application fees for the sponsorship application as soon as you can - and then have your husband carry a copy of the receipt as proof that you are working on the PR application. There's nothing you can do to guarantee a smooth border crossing - however as wilson mentioned, having proof of ties to the US and proof you intend to pursue PR status for your husband should make it easier.