+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a pregnant international student get any health support?

Charnsandhu

Dec 1, 2023
Last week i had an appointment and blood test which was paid by me and my husband is currently in india his file procedure is going on. I am pregnant and its confirm by blood test and it not getting covered in guard me my course duration is 2 years and my 1 sem is almost get completed by the end of this week. Is there any kind of help or support that i can get likr buying any insurance plan or something

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Last week i had an appointment and blood test which was paid by me and my husband is currently in india his file procedure is going on. I am pregnant and its confirm by blood test and it not getting covered in guard me my course duration is 2 years and my 1 sem is almost get completed by the end of this week. Is there any kind of help or support that i can get likr buying any insurance plan or something
What type of support? Given you are student, you need to make plans on how you will study and take care of an infant if spouse doesn’t come to Canada. You cannot take a year off of school. There are no daycares for infants. Get on waiting lists for daycares for your child. This is when infant is one year old and not all daycares have infant care. There is no health insurance because you are already pregnant.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately normal pregnancy is not covered by the international student healthcare plan in Ontario if you got pregnant before arriving in Canada or during the first month in Canada. The only thing that is covered are emergencies where the life of the mother is at risk. Did your recent doctor’s appointment get covered by the insurance plan? Was this with a GP or OB? The other issue is the fact that you needed to inform IRCC that you were pregnant before coming to Canada. Are you saying you had no symptoms of pregnancy until you were 26 weeks and so had not sought out medical care or done a pregnancy test? Unless you typically have one day periods or you have a history of not having periods for months and the 1 day of spotting you had was similar to your typical one day period most women would do a pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy. Did you have morning sickness, extreme sensitivity to smells, food aversions or cravings, any weight gain since you are almost in your 3rd trimester, lines negra, extreme fatigue, acne, pelvic pain, etc.? Is this your first child? What prompted you to seek medical care at this point? It’s unclear to me from your post whether you had no period in August or just a day of spotting or the spotting was in July. How long is your college program? Do you have the funds to pay out of pocket for healthcare related to your pregnancy? You would probably need at least 10k for prenatal care and labour/ delivery if you want an epidural. You can attempt to find a midwife because that would reduce your costs significantly but finding a midwife willing to accept a patient who is 26 weeks pregnant and who works in Belleville may not be possible. Quinte midwives seems to be the only midwifery practice in the region. Are you in touch with the father of the baby? If not do you have a support system in Canada or in your home country? You can get authorized medical leave from your college for pregnancy and delivery recovery.

https://loyalistcollege.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/PolicyWording_English_Guard.Me_More_Enhanced_Policy_.pdf
Are you 100% sure? Please provide the link to the actual UHIP policy stating this.

The link you have provided above is not UHIP. This is independent insurance and not relevant to the discussion here.

Here's what I see on the UHIP site

UHIP covers services related to pregnancy, including prenatal and postnatal care. Once enrolled in UHIP, you are covered even if the pregnancy began prior to your UHIP start date.

https://uhip.ca/help-faq/#is-there-coverage-for-pregnancy-and-newborn-related-charges

Please provide the link to the UHIP policy that states the pregnancy isn't covered if the individual gets pregnant before arriving in Canada.

Reactions: Naturgrl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you 100% sure? Please provide the link to the actual UHIP policy stating this.

The link you have provided above is not UHIP. This is independent insurance and not relevant to the discussion here.

Here's what I see on the UHIP site

UHIP covers services related to pregnancy, including prenatal and postnatal care. Once enrolled in UHIP, you are covered even if the pregnancy began prior to your UHIP start date.

https://uhip.ca/help-faq/#is-there-coverage-for-pregnancy-and-newborn-related-charges

Please provide the link to the UHIP policy that states the pregnancy isn't covered if the individual gets pregnant before arriving in Canada.
I attached the policy for international students at Loyalist college in Belleville which is where I assume they attend. This is also why the appointment for the pregnancy wasn’t covered. Most policies for international students don’t cover pregnancy if you arrive already pregnant based on the policies I’ve read at different schools.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Am I correct in assuming you attend Loyalist college? There is no policy that you can purchase that will cover the costs of your pregnancy. If there was it would charge at least the cost of what you’d have to pay in cash since insurance companies aren’t set up to lose money on guaranteed expenses.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What type of support? Given you are student, you need to make plans on how you will study and take care of an infant if spouse doesn’t come to Canada. You cannot take a year off of school. There are no daycares for infants. Get on waiting lists for daycares for your child. This is when infant is one year old and not all daycares have infant care. There is no health insurance because you are already pregnant.
There are daycares for infants. Most women take around 12 months off for maternity leave but not everyone can so there are daycare that do accept babies under one. Some have rooms with babies from 6-12 months as a separate room. There is a cost associated with daycare though and working may not be possible if you also have to pay for childcare.

Last edited: