Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Sydney
AOR Received.
01-08-2020
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the calculation of days required to meet the physical presence requirement in Canada.

I've studied in Canada so I need to spend two years physically in Canada to meet the residency requirement before I apply for citizenship. So far, I've only spent six months in Canada. However, I've also spent one year (365 days) outside the country for personal reasons.

From what I've heard, days spent outside of Canada are counted as half a day less towards the time already spent in Canada. Is it correct to assume that my one year spent outside of Canada would count as 6 months less from my total of 6 months already spent physically in Canada after PR? So instead of being physically present 1.5 years in Canada I still have to do 2 years?

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify this topic or share their experience if you have encountered a similar situation.

Thank you in advance for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the calculation of days required to meet the physical presence requirement in Canada.

I've studied in Canada so I need to spend two years physically in Canada to meet the residency requirement before I apply for citizenship. So far, I've only spent six months in Canada. However, I've also spent one year (365 days) outside the country for personal reasons.

From what I've heard, days spent outside of Canada are counted as half a day less towards the time already spent in Canada. Is it correct to assume that my one year spent outside of Canada would count as 6 months less from my total of 6 months already spent physically in Canada after PR? So instead of being physically present 1.5 years in Canada I still have to do 2 years?

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify this topic or share their experience if you have encountered a similar situation.

Days spent outside of Canada do not count towards citizenship.

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

Please use the online citizenship calculator to determine when you will quality for citizenship and to make sure you aren't making mistakes.

Reactions: hellokady

hellokady

Mar 25, 2020
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Sydney
AOR Received.
01-08-2020
Days spent outside of Canada do not count towards citizenship.
Got it. But they don't reduce the time already spent right? I spend 6 months physically and 1 year abroad, the total of time spent in Canada remains 6 months?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Got it. But they don't reduce the time already spent right? I spend 6 months physically and 1 year abroad, the total of time spent in Canada remains 6 months?
Only days within the 5 yrs period before you submit the application matters. Days accumulated before that don't count. So if 6 months is within the 5 yr period it will count.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No. Again, please use the calculator.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello everyone,

like @scylla and @forw.jane mentioned setup an account using the Physical Presence Calculator https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do and start entering the dates you were a student or TRV/PGWP and as a PR. You can enter the dates you left and entered Canada again, the system will prompt you when how many days does it add up
You'd need 1095 (do keep extra days/weeks on top) within the 5 years in Canada to be eligible to apply for citizenship

D-Dog

Star Member
Feb 2, 2024
From what I've heard, days spent outside of Canada are counted as half a day less towards the time already spent in Canada.
Only days spent inside Canada are included in the calculation. If you are here on a visitor visa, visitor record etc, this counts as 0.5 per day up to a year.