+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAIPS / GCMS

deadsea02

Star Member
Jan 27, 2013
Hey Guys.
I am about to apply for the CAIPS / GCMS notes at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5563E.pdf
I have few questions to ask. I hope i get some answers:) i am in canada right now with work permit so i will do it by my self
1. is this application GCMS or CAIPS?
2. the first question on the form ask if i want to select Access to information act or privacy act! what is the difference?
3. Section B says select Academia, BUSSINESS, MEDIA, ORGANIZATION, PUBLIC! which one should i use?
4.is it better to use physical or electronic file?
5. Question 5A it says to chose sponsor or sponsored? and B the info i am requesting to sponsor or sponsored? I am soo confused
Last one i have to pay $5 but by wich method? and if by money order, then to whom it will be paid?
Thank u alot guys

spyro02

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2014
AOR Received.
19-12-2014
1. This form is for requests under either the Freedom of Information Act or the Privacy Act. It has nothing to do with CAIPS/GCMS, they will pull your information from whatever system was used. You have to choose the Law that gives you a right to access the files. If you are requesting your own file, then you check Privacy Act.
2. The Privacy Act is for information about yourself or anyone who authorized you to request their information. The Privacy Act gives you the right to know what the government stores about you.
The Freedom/Access to Information Act allows the public to request information from the government about non-personal files or files of people who have been deceased for a while. There is the $5 fee for this.
3. I would leave that blank. You are neither one of these unless you request information under the Information Act.
4. These days they store everything in computers. It asks whether you want an electronic or physical copy. Check whatever you like.
5. 5A: Who are you? 5B: Whose information are you requesting? -- Only applicable if somebody (family) sponsored you for immigration. As you are a temporary resident, there is no sponsor and the question is superfluous. Just leave empty.
6. If you are requesting information about yourself, it would be under the Privacy Act. So there will be no fee, as you can read in the instructions.

I can tell you for sure that if you check the Information Act and pay the fee, that will get you nowhere. They would send you a reply like this, "As the information pertains to a living person, we are not authorized to give you access under this Act." So read the instructions next time before thinking too hard about how to pay any fee.

Knowing the difference between Freedom of Information and Privacy is a skill that every citizen should possess. These laws are not unique to Canada, they exist in the US, UK, Germany and pretty much everywhere else in the Western World.

CEC-NOC-2171

Feb 20, 2014
I have applied for gcms once under privacy act and requested a physical file and now i would like to receive an electronic file. Can I apply for it twice?