+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Business Owner From US, Trying to Immigrate To BC (Vancouver Island)

joshmv

Dec 24, 2012
Hey everybody,

This is my first post so I hope I'm in the right section.

I'm a US citizen and I've run my own business (setup as a corporation) for the last 5 years or so. I desperately want to relocate to Vancouver Island in the next 3-5 years, but I just don't see any avenues for securing a visa in my situation.

I see that they've currently stopped the entrepreneurship visa program, the investor program, and the BC provincial nominees program, which are basically the only visa's that I'd qualify for since I'm not interested in working for someone else.

Do I have any options left? Do you guys think they will open those programs back up in the next few years? I know they just opened up a new visa program for companies that secure funding from a Canadian investment firm, but I'm not looking for capital so this really wouldn't apply to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Josh

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You can use this tool to determine if you're currently eligible for any programs:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/cometocanada.asp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They will probably open up the investor program at some point. However it's anyone's guess when that will happen.

Do you have sufficient funds to qualify? (Net worth of at least $1.6 million and able to invest $800K in your business in Canada.) If you do, then waiting is one option. If you don't, then you should start looking into other immigration programs.

joshmv

Dec 24, 2012
scylla said:
They will probably open up the investor program at some point. However it's anyone's guess when that will happen.

Do you have sufficient funds to qualify? (Net worth of at least $1.6 million and able to invest $800K in your business in Canada.) If you do, then waiting is one option. If you don't, then you should start looking into other immigration programs.
I doubt it, but as an entrepreneur I'm always hoping that things will take off within the next few years. Right now my net worth is around 500k.

I took the survey linked above and it said the entrepreneur class is what I'd be eligible for. I know they aren't granting visa's for any entrepreneur applications after 2011 at this time, but would it be any advantage to try and submit one and get it on file or is that not even a possibility?

Thanks again,

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
joshmv said:
I doubt it, but as an entrepreneur I'm always hoping that things will take off within the next few years. Right now my net worth is around 500k.

I took the survey linked above and it said the entrepreneur class is what I'd be eligible for. I know they aren't granting visa's for any entrepreneur applications after 2011 at this time, but would it be any advantage to try and submit one and get it on file or is that not even a possibility?

Thanks again,
You can start preparing the application, like writing a business plan, etc, but keep in mind - requirements may change and some documents have an expiration date.

I doubt they would accept the application. If you're lucky, they'd return it. If you're unlucky, it would meet the shredder.

joshmv

Dec 24, 2012
amikety said:
You can start preparing the application, like writing a business plan, etc, but keep in mind - requirements may change and some documents have an expiration date.

I doubt they would accept the application. If you're lucky, they'd return it. If you're unlucky, it would meet the shredder.
Thanks for the advice, I'll just hold off on submitting something.

Do you know if they still make you do a business plan if you already have an established and profitable business with a few years of financial reports?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
joshmv said:
Thanks for the advice, I'll just hold off on submitting something.

Do you know if they still make you do a business plan if you already have an established and profitable business with a few years of financial reports?
Until they re-open the program, no one (unless you have top secret buddies at CIC) can tell you what they will or won't require..... BUT.... you'll be moving to a new country, new customers, new environment. I would bet money they will require a business plan.

$5!

joshmv

Dec 24, 2012
amikety said:
Until they re-open the program, no one (unless you have top secret buddies at CIC) can tell you what they will or won't require..... BUT.... you'll be moving to a new country, new customers, new environment. I would bet money they will require a business plan.

$5!
Sorry, I should have mentioned that it's an online business selling physical products, but without a brick & mortar location so there shouldn't be any change in income due to relocating.

winbxy

Oct 4, 2012
joshmv said:
Sorry, I should have mentioned that it's an online business selling physical products, but without a brick & mortar location so there shouldn't be any change in income due to relocating.
you can check the bc pnp website to see if you meet the criteria
http://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/immigrate-BC/Provincial-Nominee-Program-Home/Business-Immigrants-Home/Regional-Business-Home.aspx

according to my experiences, (I write Business plan for provincial nominee applicant), you need to submit a new business plan to BC officer even thought you intend to relocate your business from U.S ;D

FerreroFive

Mar 31, 2013
What is your business in US and what you are planning to do in Canada? Or you interested for opening of franchise or branch office in Canada?