+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing parents into Canada

samrat_kgiri

Sep 21, 2020
Hello All,

Hope you are doing well.

Background: I reside in USA as a H1-B visa holder. I also have a Canadian PR since Jan-2020. Since COVID happened, I was unable to come to Canada because of various obligations. My parents are here in USA with me. Now, however, my situation slightly improved and I am looking forward to coming to Canada.

Plan is to enter Canada through a land border from USA with my parents.

Question: I am trying to apply a Canadian visit visa for my parents. However, I don't have a residence set up in Canada.

1. So super visa is out of question (at least that was my impression after reading through the official website) Please correct me if I am wrong.
2. Do I need to have a residence setup in Canada first before applying / sponsoring visa (multiple entry or super) for my parents ? I ask this because all my work, bank statements and financial are in USA. How can I have an invitation letter when I am not in Canada ? Can I potentially do an online lease/friend's address and put that as proof ?

Due to quarantine restrictions, once I come into Canada, I have to stay 14 days and if I can't get back into USA, I would be in a big mess. So I am not considering that option at present

Thanks in advance !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,

Hope you are doing well.

Background: I reside in USA as a H1-B visa holder. I also have a Canadian PR since Jan-2020. Since COVID happened, I was unable to come to Canada because of various obligations. My parents are here in USA with me. Now, however, my situation slightly improved and I am looking forward to coming to Canada.

Question: I am trying to apply a Canadian visit visa for my parents. However, I don't have a residence set up in Canada.

1. So super visa is out of question (at least that was my impression after reading through the official website) Please correct me if I am wrong.
2. Do I need to have a residence setup in Canada first before applying / sponsoring visa (multiple entry or super) for my parents ? I ask this because all my work, bank statements and financial are in USA. How can I have an invitation letter when I am not in Canada ? Can I potentially do an online lease/friend's address and put that as proof ?

Due to quarantine restrictions, once I come into Canada, I have to stay 14 days and if I can't get back into USA, I would be in a big mess. So I am not considering that option at present

Thanks in advance !
1. Super visa is not an option.
2. TRV is their only option. You don't sponsor them on a TRV like you do on a super visa. They have to largely qualify on their own merits. You can certainly include an invitation letter indicating you will cover their expenses. They should show their own funds as well, and also ties to their home country.

I'm not sure I understand your comments regarding quarantine restrictions. What option are you not considering?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would warn you that Canada does not want parents moving to Canada with their children. It is preferred that parents come to visit when you have become established in Canada. Most parents do not qualify for a supervisa for the first year because the child must earn the LICO amount in Canada to qualify. It is not based on your future salary.

samrat_kgiri

Sep 21, 2020
1. Super visa is not an option.
2. TRV is their only option. You don't sponsor them on a TRV like you do on a super visa. They have to largely qualify on their own merits. You can certainly include an invitation letter indicating you will cover their expenses. They should show their own funds as well, and also ties to their home country.

I'm not sure I understand your comments regarding quarantine restrictions. What option are you not considering?
Thank you for providing an alternative option. I will look into TRV

The option I was not considering is coming to Canada and then establishing residence, staying in Canada for couple of months and then come to USA to make the final move with parents.

I am not considering that option because once I enter Canada, my H1b work visa would be invalid and I need a visitor visa to re-enter USA. And with the current border restrictions by land, I thought its not wise making multiple trips.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for providing an alternative option. I will look into TRV

The option I was not considering is coming to Canada and then establishing residence, staying in Canada for couple of months and then come to USA to make the final move with parents.

I am not considering that option because once I enter Canada, my H1b work visa would be invalid and I need a visitor visa to re-enter USA. And with the current border restrictions by land, I thought its not wise making multiple trips.
Understood. That makes sense.

Note that the TRV only allows your parents into Canada temporarily as visitors. In both the application process as well as when you cross the border, you want to avoid looking like they are moving here. Also, make sure you take out private medical insurance to cover emergencies. Non-emergency care will need to be paid out of pocket.

Reactions: samrat_kgiri

samrat_kgiri

Sep 21, 2020
Would warn you that Canada does not want parents moving to Canada with their children. It is preferred that parents come to visit when you have become established in Canada. Most parents do not qualify for a supervisa for the first year because the child must earn the LICO amount in Canada to qualify. It is not based on your future salary.
Got it. I took out supervisa from consideration now that I got multiple negatives on that.

you touched upon an interesting point.LICO. Question now is I have banking in Canada that I set up when I came to collect my PR cards. But all my salaries are based in USA. Can I potentially transfer funds to Canadian bank account and show that I have funds ?Has it to be “Earned” in Canada ?Versus having funds to support ? Thx.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Got it. I took out supervisa from consideration now that I got multiple negatives on that.

you touched upon an interesting point.LICO. Question now is I have banking in Canada that I set up when I came to collect my PR cards. But all my salaries are based in USA. Can I potentially transfer funds to Canadian bank account and show that I have funds ?Has it to be “Earned” in Canada ?Versus having funds to support ? Thx.
LICO is determined based on income, not savings. Savings cannot be counted under LICO.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Proof for LICO is usually your taxable income on your Canadian tax returns. I don’t think you realize that your parents may struggle to get TRVs. They aren’t living in their home country and may have been visiting you in the US for quite some time. To get approved for a TRV they must show they can support their own travel and have strong ties to their home country that shows they will return home. When applying from a 3rd country your ties do not appear as strong. Would make sure you have a plan B if they get denied.

Chandra1

Nov 13, 2020
Hello All,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks in advance !
Hi Samrat, So what did you decide? I am on a similar boat. My parents are with me in US on visitor visa. My company is sending me to Canada on work visa. I am exploring option of visitor visa for my parents.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Samrat, So what did you decide? I am on a similar boat. My parents are with me in US on visitor visa. My company is sending me to Canada on work visa. I am exploring option of visitor visa for my parents.
Then you post in the wrong forum. Instead, post it under the temporary entry to Canada

Reactions: Qwertypod

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The only option your parents have is to apply for a regular visitor visa (TRV). This would allow them to visit Canada temporarily as tourists but not live here or stay here long term.

Discussions on applying for a TRV are in the Visitors section of the forum.

samrat_kgiri

Sep 21, 2020
Hello @Chandra1,

Currently with Covid-19, my best bet would be to apply TRV. But for that option, since regular visit visas (Tourism) are not yet being processed because of border closures and stuff, I am thinking to send an invitation letter after I go to Canada. That way, the TRV is for a family visit. As Scylla said, the only option would be a TRV. However, if you show Tourism on a TRV (Visit as opposed to a "Family Visit"), the application will likely get denied. So while filling out the application and sending invite letter, I strongly suggest showing it as a family circumstance.

Best of luck,
Samrat

Reactions: Chandra1 and scylla

Chandra1

Nov 13, 2020
Hello @Chandra1,

Currently with Covid-19, my best bet would be to apply TRV. But for that option, since regular visit visas (Tourism) are not yet being processed because of border closures and stuff, I am thinking to send an invitation letter after I go to Canada. That way, the TRV is for a family visit. As Scylla said, the only option would be a TRV. However, if you show Tourism on a TRV (Visit as opposed to a "Family Visit"), the application will likely get denied. So while filling out the application and sending invite letter, I strongly suggest showing it as a family circumstance.

Best of luck,
Samrat
Thanks Samrat, best wishes to you too!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks Samrat, best wishes to you too!!
It will important that your parents show they have strong ties to India and proof they will return home to get approved. If they have been living with you in the US it makes TRV application much harder.