+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing in life savings from abroad

theeeiam

Mar 11, 2021
I immigrated to Canada about a year ago (in-land landing). While I'm fully a tax resident here, I still have quite a bit of money abroad (just about $200k). That's a result of salary and investment that has been properly taxed abroad. The money has moved around between several tax jurisdictions, and there is no way for me to show where everything came from and that it was taxed (i.e. producing pay slips and trace transactions, some more than a decade old). It's getting very hard to manage remotely and I'd like to bring the money here. Will my Canadian bank be cool with me doing one big transfer, or will that trigger some investigation?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I immigrated to Canada about a year ago (in-land landing). While I'm fully a tax resident here, I still have quite a bit of money abroad (just about $200k). That's a result of salary and investment that has been properly taxed abroad. The money has moved around between several tax jurisdictions, and there is no way for me to show where everything came from and that it was taxed (i.e. producing pay slips and trace transactions, some more than a decade old). It's getting very hard to manage remotely and I'd like to bring the money here. Will my Canadian bank be cool with me doing one big transfer, or will that trigger some investigation?
Have you indicated those money in your recent T1? If so, there should be no problem with this big transfer.