+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing boyfriend home to Canada

ridler4

Apr 3, 2007
I am a Canadian citizen living temporarily in New Zealand. My partner of 1 year (though we've only living together for 7 months, therefore not technically common-law) is also living temporarily in New Zealand where we met. He is a citizen of Brazil. It's been near impossible to find any information on his options in coming to Canada with me. He has a 4 year bachelor's degree in tourism business so we were considering a work transfer from the company we work for here to the same company in Canada. Can he have an open work visa? Is the only way to wait until we are common-law? Do you have any advice?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ridler4 said:
I am a Canadian citizen living temporarily in New Zealand. My partner of 1 year (though we've only living together for 7 months, therefore not technically common-law) is also living temporarily in New Zealand where we met. He is a citizen of Brazil. It's been near impossible to find any information on his options in coming to Canada with me. He has a 4 year bachelor's degree in tourism business so we were considering a work transfer from the company we work for here to the same company in Canada. Can he have an open work visa? Is the only way to wait until we are common-law? Do you have any advice?
1. He needs a TRV (visitor visa) for Canada.
2. For an intra company transfer:

"5.31. Canadian interests: Significant benefit—Intra-company transferees R205(a), C12
Summary:
• Applies to senior managers & specialized knowledge workers; work permits required, but
exempt from HRSDC confirmation R205(a), CEC C12 (unless they are citizens of the U.S.,
Mexico or Chile, in which case R204 is the authority, CEC T24).
3. No he is not entitled to an open work permit.
4. As you are not common-law, you cannot sponsor him until you have co-habited for a year. Co-habit is not just living together. sse:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/familymembers.html

PMM

ridler4

Apr 3, 2007
So, if we wait until we are common-law, is the only option for me to apply to sponsor him and then wait out the residency application process for nearly another year in New Zealand? We are not keen to wait that much time before going to Canada. Is there not some way that he can get an open work permit once we are common-law and then start the residency process once we arrive in Canada?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ridler4 said:
So, if we wait until we are common-law, is the only option for me to apply to sponsor him and then wait out the residency application process for nearly another year in New Zealand? We are not keen to wait that much time before going to Canada. Is there not some way that he can get an open work permit once we are common-law and then start the residency process once we arrive in Canada?
Basically no.

PMM