+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing a minor child to Canada

MaherAlAsfar

Jul 9, 2011
Hello

I m a Canadian citizen and i wish to bring my 13 year old son to Canada to visit first.

If he happens to like it here and want to continue living with me, I would like to get him a permanent residency then.
Looking and reading the immigration site is so overwhelming and confusing.

Do I apply for a Visit Visa ? or Sponcering a family member ? the immigration site talks about what adult people need to do to come to canada, but not what families here need to do if they wish to bring thier family here.

Any help is appreciated on what Forms i need to fill on his behalf.

thanks

Maher

Thanks

Maher

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

MaherAlAsfar said:
Hello

I m a Canadian citizen and i wish to bring my 13 year old son to Canada to visit first.

If he happens to like it here and want to continue living with me, I would like to get him a permanent residency then.
Looking and reading the immigration site is so overwhelming and confusing.

Do I apply for a Visit Visa ? or Sponcering a family member ? the immigration site talks about what adult people need to do to come to canada, but not what families here need to do if they wish to bring thier family here.

Any help is appreciated on what Forms i need to fill on his behalf.

thanks

Maher

Thanks

Maher
1. If you were born in Canada or became a citizen before his birth, then the child is a Canadian citizen.
2. If the child was born before you became a permanent residence of Canada and you didn't declare him, then he is no longer a member of the family class, and can't be sponsored.
3. If he was born after you became a permanent resident, then you can sponsor him, if you can prove custody. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp