+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Boyfriend, Baby, and me...

kitmackin

Nov 8, 2006
I really have no idea where I should begin the process...maybe someone can give me guidance.
Right now I currently live in the New Orleans region of Louisiana. I am a grad student of French at UNO and I just recently had a baby that is 3 months old. My partner (and the father of my child) is Honduran. He entered the United States 5 years ago on a worker's visa that his since expired. It is hopeless for him to try to change his status to resident, unless we get married. It is scary for me to think about something happening to him where he would be deported because, well I love him and I don't know when (if ever) he would be able to return. Not to mention that I need him here to help with the baby.
When Hurricane Katrina hit last year, we wanted to come to Canada and not look back. We stopped short, afraid of being somehow separated from each other when crossing over. Now we have a baby and we want to live together in peace. I would like to continue my French studies, he would like to work legally in a place where he could establish his own contruction company.
What steps should we take? Or, at least, where should we begin? Is there any hope for us?

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
Hi Kitmackin

The main question is how much do you love him, since you have the best solution in your hands.

I guess he is out of question about Canada since in order for him to apply as resident he must hold a legal status in the country he lives or apply from his own Country, which is exactly you want to avoid right?

Get married it is the best and the correct thing since you both have a baby. (of course, only if you guys love each other)

Bottom line, you have his future in your hands.

Regards
Eduardo

kitmackin

Nov 8, 2006
Thank you all for your timely replies...
I guess I was looking for a way to do it without having to push the marriage thing, but you're right when you say that it's the right thing.
In rereading my message, I felt that I sounded like I was "fleeing" to Canada and that's not at all what I wanted to portray. In fact, I've wanted to be a part of Canada ever since I started my French studies. It seems like an amazing place for a gal like me.
Merci!!!