+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP at Port of Entry

ked

Aug 30, 2009
Hi Guys, just wanted to share this. I crossed the border and was granted BOWP. My workpermit was going to expire exactly within 4 months time and there were no hastle. You just have to bring your current work permit. Your COR email along with your application file number. Also just let them know that you are getting offers and you wouldnt like to lose such an opportunity. You will also need a re-entry visa for this if you have one.

Guys: Can you please share yoir experiences? A lot seem to misunderstand that BOWP is Not granted at POE.

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
People have posted on here about being refused at the border and even having their current work permits taken from them.

Applying online is the most prudent and sensible thing to do, I would imagine that you're at the unpredictable response and discretion of the border agent at POE, I know I wouldn't rely on them too much.

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
TheAwesomeMatt said:
People have posted on here about being refused at the border and even having their current work permits taken from them.
Applying online is the most prudent and sensible thing to do, I would imagine that you're at the unpredictable response and discretion of the border agent at POE, I know I wouldn't rely on them too much.
Matt is right! According to OB485a, which is the newest BOWP guideline, individuals are not eligibile to apply for a BOWP at ports of entry.

Please note the following foreign nationals do not qualify for a bridging work permit:

Foreign nationals applying for a bridging work permit at the port of entry.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob485A.asp

Please dont encourage persons to apply in contravention to published CIC regulations. VO and border agents have the discretion, but its a matter of luck. Not everyone may come across a VO that is understanding or sympathetic to your situation. It is better to follow the guidelines than to risk refusal. On the other hand, if you have no other choice, then I suppose the potential benefits outweigh the risks. But in most cases, applying within the parameters set by CIC is your best bet.